New Sulcata owner...

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
oh yes please do!!!! I will go to my local hardware store after work and get some plastic. I'm on a budget - but I really want lil Irwin to get the care he needs.
Also - if my daughter thinks she's getting him back when she comes home from her internship in Florida - she better think again!! lol - I've absolutely bonded with him in these past 3 weeks that I have had him...

haha!! true that! it's amazing how quickly they steal your heart. our hermanns fido IS my girlfriends i had no interest whatsoever when she was gettin him....

untill she brought him home :) , since then im obsessed and besotted:) :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im not 100% if closed table is essential to say, but it does make maintaining temps and humidity sooo much easier.

TSchadel

Kansas
Another question:
I have a humidifier - can I put this in the room to help with the humidity levels?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Another question:
I have a humidifier - can I put this in the room to help with the humidity levels?

if its a domestic humidifier it can be 'doctored' to suit by adding a flexible pipe aimed into enclosure but will only really be beneficial if you add a top to table. i found a pic of a member who done exactly that, i'll try pinch the pic

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
You get an A+ for effort. It can be overwhelming with all the conflicting information on the web, but after you see the condition and size of the tortoises on this forum, you will be convinced it's the best way to go.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Some people here have bought little green houses from Amazon and put them over their table or attach them to the table. There is a greenhouse kit that several different members have bought. It includes the base and the top where you can hang the lights. Check out the enclosures section for some ideas. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money. But if you have a wooden table you will need to waterproof it. You can do this by using a shower curtain or plastic. You can build a PVC frame and put plastic or a shower curtain over it and put it over the table also. There are a lot of ways to make it work.

TSchadel

Kansas
Welcome and congrats! ! ! ! !

Good to have you here! ! ! ! !
Thanks!
After looking at all the beautiful torts on this site - I'm a little scared that I won't be able to provide the proper care Irwin desperately needs. He is a little over a year old - and I'm afraid that the pet store that my daughter and boyfriend purchased him from was totally wrong on every level for his care. They had been keeping him in a 10 gallon aquarium with heat and UVC lamp - but we're told that humidity was bad for him! He also got fed store bought Mellon tort treats on the daily as well as spinach. As a result - a year later he has grown very little and his shell is definitely pyramiding.
I sure hope I can provide the care he needs. Since I've been his care taker - approximately 3 weeks ago - he is out of the 10 gallon aquarium and into a tortoise table (that still needs adjustments as I fashioned using outdated books!), is eating more appropriate foods and trying to get his Humudity levels right. I have a long way to go for sure!
I should note that I'm writing this as my boyfriend and I are sitting in our office/tort room sweating our asses of cause I won't let Tom open the air vent or use a fan cause "Irwin likes it hot" lol

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I should note that I'm writing this as my boyfriend and I are sitting in our office/tort room sweating our asses of cause I won't let Tom open the air vent or use a fan cause "Irwin likes it hot" lol
Hah! Nice.

You are doing fine. It is overwhelming at first, but once you get things to where they should be it definitely gets easier.

TSchadel

Kansas
Thanks! ive been looking At your profile - YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Your pictures are amazing - your care for Odin is amazing - and you just seem like an amazing down-to-earth gal that I totally love!!! I wanna be like Odins Gma
I keep telling my kids that I am cool but they just don't believe me!

Seriously, thank you. But honestly, it's all Odin, he is just...so...AWESOME!

TSchadel

Kansas
Is Odin active? Poor Irwin is not very active. I hope he is not depressed or sick. I know I've done some things wrong - but am sure trying to get him healthy! He was active when he first got into the tort table - walking the prameter over and over. Now he just goes into a corner or one of his huts after I feed him or take him outdoors or soak him. I looked for weeping eyes but he does not have those. Any advice would be welcome.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Is Odin active? Poor Irwin is not very active. I hope he is not depressed or sick. I know I've done some things wrong - but am sure trying to get him healthy! He was active when he first got into the tort table - walking the prameter over and over. Now he just goes into a corner or one of his huts after I feed him or take him outdoors or soak him. I looked for weeping eyes but he does not have those. Any advice would be welcome.
When he is not sleeping he is pretty active, but he sleeps a good deal, more than the pets I am used to. He also like to hide in his outdoor burrow when it's hot out, and in the burrow he dug in his indoor table when he is grumpy, and boy does he get grumpy!
Today it's icky and rainy so we didn't take him outside and he refused to move until I went out in the rain and fetched him a squash flower (yes, he has me well trained) and as soon as it was gone he went and hid again.
He also throws "temper tantrums" after he gets Mazuri. (He loves the stuff, but I prefer to stick to as wild a diet as possible so he doesn't get it often) After he gets it he will sit for hours staring at his bowl, refusing to graze in his indoor gardens and ignoring any other food we give him. This can go on for days. Sullys are awesome, but they are also stubborn little jerks, so, yours may just be irritated with all the changes in the last few weeks.

TSchadel

Kansas
When he is not sleeping he is pretty active, but he sleeps a good deal, more than the pets I am used to. He also like to hide in his outdoor burrow when it's hot out, and in the burrow he dug in his indoor table when he is grumpy, and boy does he get grumpy!
Today it's icky and rainy so we didn't take him outside and he refused to move until I went out in the rain and fetched him a squash flower (yes, he has me well trained) and as soon as it was gone he went and hid again.
He also throws "temper tantrums" after he gets Mazuri. (He loves the stuff, but I prefer to stick to as wild a diet as possible so he doesn't get it often) After he gets it he will sit for hours staring at his bowl, refusing to graze in his indoor gardens and ignoring any other food we give him. This can go on for days. Sullys are awesome, but they are also stubborn little jerks, so, yours may just be irritated with all the changes in the last few weeks.
Well that makes me feel a little better. I've really been putting him through a ton of changes lately. Right now the only constant is that I'm still feeding him Mazuri until I can get a wild garden started. He has been introduced to soooo many new things in his life that he will be stubborn for the next year! Lol

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
He is 14 months and a bit over 250 grams, which, to me, means nothing. It's easier to say he is this big:
011.JPG

He is quite small compared to most his age here, but he is a powerhouse when it comes to eating (and pooping!) and his growth is nice and steady.

TSchadel

Kansas
He is 14 months and a bit over 250 grams, which, to me, means nothing. It's easier to say he is this big:
View attachment 139430

He is quite small compared to most his age here, but he is a powerhouse when it comes to eating (and pooping!) and his growth is nice and steady.
Here is Irwin. Won't pop his head out!
Dallas said they got him last Sept but she did not know how old he was - although he was very very small so I would think not more than a month or two old. So I'm thinking he is just barely over a year

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 11

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Here is Irwin. Won't pop his head out!
Dallas said they got him last Sept but she did not know how old he was - although he was very very small so I would think not more than a month or two old. So I'm thinking he is just barely over a year
And he could be a bit less than a year. I have heard of breeders selling them as soon as a few weeks old. In any case, sully's ages are pretty near impossible to guess unless you know the hatch date, so you can pick a birthday and call him one!