Irwin - past and presen

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Little history on Irwin - he was bought at a local pet store as a gift to my daughter from her boyfriend in September 2014. By June 2015 - they had broke up and my daughter was leaving the state for 6 months. Guess who got Irwin?!? I knew nothing about caring for a sulcata so I researched and found this site. Unfortunately my daighter did not research and poor Irwin spent his first months in a 10 gallon tank with no humidity. Bad advice from the pet store. I'm not really sure of his age - but I'm going with August 2014.
I'm happy to say that because ofimage.jpeg his site - Irwin image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeghas thrived!!! He lives in a 3.5x4.5 humid habitat and is almost a pound and 5inches. He's got a great personality - other than his stubbornness.... And I just love him!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What a lucky tortoise, thank you for taking him in! there are so many sad stories that could have happened.

I may or may not have saddled my mom with a 13lb 5 foot iguana for a few months when I was moving at around 19. I almost didn't get him back. When I went to retrieve him she had painted his enclosure with a happy little mural and had sewn him a bed set with pillows...that she tucked him in with at night. Apparently being a crazy reptile lady might be genetic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another win for the Tortoise Forum!!! And Irwin too!!!

You probably won't know for sure for another couple of years, but I'll bet Irwin is a girl.

Thanks for sharing Irwin's story and your pics with us.

TSchadel

Kansas
What a lucky tortoise, thank you for taking him in! there are so many sad stories that could have happened.

I may or may not have saddled my mom with a 13lb 5 foot iguana for a few months when I was moving at around 19. I almost didn't get him back. When I went to retrieve him she had painted his enclosure with a happy little mural and had sewn him a bed set with pillows...that she tucked him in with at night. Apparently being a crazy reptile lady might be genetic.
OMG that is too funny! Yes - definitely genetic! It's crazy how these non-traditional pets worm their way into our hearts! My family has caught the Irwin craze as my siblings, in-laws, mom and nieces/nephews have all contributed to Irwins well being in some way or another. It's too bad that my daughter thinks she is actually getting Irwin back at some point.... NO WAY - NO HOW!!

TSchadel

Kansas
Another win for the Tortoise Forum!!! And Irwin too!!!

You probably won't know for sure for another couple of years, but I'll bet Irwin is a girl.

Thanks for sharing Irwin's story and your pics with us.
What makes you think this - just curious....

TSchadel

Kansas
Irwina? Winnie? Irwin the girl? Haha. I think that my Ruby is probably going to be a Rueben. No worries though, a gender confused tortoise wont be the strangest thing in this household.
Lol - you are right! Winnie is actually a cool name! I just might be giving Winnie Updates on here in the next couple of years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What makes you think this - just curious....

Split scutes are usually the result of incubation temps being high. Higher temps usually result in more females.

That split scute means there is a high probability that your baby will be female. Certainly not a guarantee.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think Irwin is doing great ! I found his progress interesting because Speedy is approx. 2 months younger and was 5 1/8th inches and 15 oz,s the last time we weighed and measured him . We purchased him when he was just under a year old according to the owner. Searching the internet we also came across this forum , did some reading and made several adjustments to Speedy's habitat . He has tripled in weight and grown over an inch . I can honestly say I attribute it all to the advice received on this forum ! :)
I will put a few pics for you to compare

Speed 2.jpg Speed 4.jpg Speed 5.jpg

TSchadel

Kansas
Split scutes are usually the result of incubation temps being high. Higher temps usually result in more females.

That split scute means there is a high probability that your baby will be female. Certainly not a guarantee.

Thanks for the info - time will tell - but I think I'm going to start calling him Irwina - just in case....

TSchadel

Kansas
I think Irwin is doing great ! I found his progress interesting because Speedy is approx. 2 months younger and was 5 1/8th inches and 15 oz,s the last time we weighed and measured him . We purchased him when he was just under a year old according to the owner. Searching the internet we also came across this forum , did some reading and made several adjustments to Speedy's habitat . He has tripled in weight and grown over an inch . I can honestly say I attribute it all to the advice received on this forum ! :)
I will put a few pics for you to compare

View attachment 157037 View attachment 157038 View attachment 157039

WOW - Speedy is very handsome!!! I agree 100% about this forum. It has been Irwin's guardian angel! I knew NOTHING and I'm pretty sure I asked the same questions over and over and everybody I talk to has been so patient and glad to answer and give advice. I love LOVE seeing pictures of Sullys - young and old - that members post. I get great advice and Irwin has thrived because of it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
WOW - Speedy is very handsome!!! I agree 100% about this forum. It has been Irwin's guardian angel! I knew NOTHING and I'm pretty sure I asked the same questions over and over and everybody I talk to has been so patient and glad to answer and give advice. I love LOVE seeing pictures of Sullys - young and old - that members post. I get great advice and Irwin has thrived because of it.
Thanks I just thought it was interesting , how close they are in age , weight and size ! ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Irwina? Winnie? Irwin the girl? Haha. I think that my Ruby is probably going to be a Rueben. No worries though, a gender confused tortoise wont be the strangest thing in this household.
I named my rabbit Pansy before I found out he was a boy. A boy named Pansy is a lot worse than a girl named Irwin or Ruby!