New Sulcata owner in Canada!

alieshamacd

Hey guys!

I have got a Sulcata tortoise in August! It is now about one Year old, and named Reggie!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420399345.819238.jpg
I am terrified that his enclosure is not good enough because of how dry it gets in the winter - I pour water in his substrate twice a day, and bathe him regularly.

However, because I am in Canada, it is chilly and I keep a heater on to keep the air warm. The heater produces dry heat, and I always find Reggies substrate fairly dry, despite my efforts. I also feel like his skin is always dry, until I soak him of course. Is that good enough? Or should I be doing more? Is it going to affect his health?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420399764.538279.jpg
Also, I grow his food in a container under the table his enclosure is on, and he seems to have no interest in eating grass or hay, only leaves and flowers, as well as some Kale or Arugula occassionally (and pumpkin with some crushed calcium mixed in every two weeks). Is that normal?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420399502.982565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420399543.850942.jpg
Because I am a new Sulcata owner, I am scared that I am just not doing this stuff right. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have read quite a few threads that have been posted for new Sulcata owners and the more I read the more confused and worried I get. I really want Reggie to be healthy and happy!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420399625.959464.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the form. You have posted some nice pictures. To answer your question, you probably should total enclose your tortoise habitat so that you can create a humid environment. There are a lot of ideas on how to do this in the Enclosure Section. At the top of the Sulcata Section of this form are some stickies on how to raise a baby sulcata. These would help you out a bunch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :). I totally agree with above post, you need to bump up the humidity, your tort is already starting to pyramid. Enclosing the enclosure will help you out a lot. Please read Toms threads below in my post for help in the proper raising of your cute little sully. Btw, the pyramiding is mostly cosmetic, will hardly be noticeable when larger if you get the humidity up now and get him growing in smooth.

alieshamacd

Okay so I have a new plastic cookie container that I cut a hole in the lid and filled with really damp substrate and placed in the middle of the enclosure. Its just a very moist hide for him to hang out in until I can buy some plexiglass on Tuesday to put on the top of the enclosure. I have some questions about the closed chambers though... If I put the plexiglass on top of my enclosure, which is made of wood, will he be able to breathe okay without as much air circulation? Also, would i have to line the whole enclosure to keep the inside humid or would it be okay with just the wood?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll have to figure out a way to have your lights under the plexi. And there's enough air flow that the baby isn't going to suffocate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Great pictures Sooooooooooooooooooo cute :)