Greetings from Canada

bonapartist

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor, Ontario. Canada
My name is Jen, and I have just adopted my first tortoise, and hopefully not my last. He's a male 5 year old Hermann's tortoise named Hank. I have always loved tortoises and box turtles, but they tend to be either difficult to obtain, or extremely expensive in Canada. So, after much searching, I ended up adopting him from an owner in Ohio.

If anyone has questions about the application process, or what's involved in exporting a specimen out of the US or into Canada, I can help, because I've just been through it. Most of the time neither I, nor the customs officers were sure what we were doing, but everyone was very helpful and Hank is now safe and sound with me here in Canada.

I'm looking forward to, and a little nervous about Hank's first hibernation with me, but I've got lots of experience and am still in touch with his previous owner who has hibernated him successfully for the last 5 years. I'm looking forward to ensuring he has a nice, healthy rest followed by a sunny spring!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Jen!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! You don't have to hibernate him . I wouldn't do it this year due to him being with you a short time . Keep him inside and warm get to know him first .

bonapartist

Windsor, Ontario. Canada
Thanks, I'll think about it, but his previous owner already has him healthy and ready, and I think Hank's ready too. He hasn't missed a year, his appetite is slowing a bit and I think he's anticipating a nice rest.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jen welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Herrmanns rule ! Torts don't have to hibernate its Gods way to help the tort through short food supply's in the winter . And it's best not to hibernate a tort though the first year . But I do hibernate mine but I've had mine 10 years . But you do what you think is best . Good luck !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416695414.291634.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Blimey!
Quite an old thread, but since you are still about.............
Hello, Jen, I hope you and Hank are doing well. :)