New Sulcata 4 months old, with some yellowish spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman1973

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
:):)
Hello all.
I am a new owner of a baby sulcata. I bought him yesterday at a pet shop and noticed this yellow spot on the skin above her head. I asked that guy and he said it was normal. I searched the entire website yesterday and today and was not able to find anything. I am asking because since I am new I want to know if I shoud take him to the vet or return to the pet shop.
I am new, I researched the Sulcata and am well aware of the care they need and also how big they will get. I am an animal lover have always had and have dogs, cats and parrots. They have lived well over life expectancy so, please be kind to me. I do not take my pets lightly.
I am attaching the best pic I got.
Please let me know
thanks

Attachments

• 20120909_200857.jpg
    20120909_200857.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 168

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I don't know,if that is normal or not. Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me. However see what others say. One of the best ways to raise that little cutie is in the threads listed at the bottom of my post. They are all good for raising sulcatas.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I don't have or know much about sulcatas, but it's about the color of bird vitamins some people give their sick torts to boost vitamin levels. Do you know if the pet store was giving them anything that maybe he got a drop of on his head?

batman1973

5 Year Member
Florida
Hi thanks for reply.... I don't know about the bird vitamins....but it's hard the guy thought it was dirt and tried to scrape it off but didn't come off... also he's sleeping a lot. Not that active. Is it normal

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
They might have. Have you tried washing it off with a soft bristled tooth brush? If there is something there then the washing should get rid of it. I don't know if you are supposed to use soap or not. I never do but mine don't look like I get all of the dirt off either.:( I try, but mine don't like it and squirm. I am afraid that since they are so little I might hurt them. You can see what happens and maybe someone else will know more. It was hard to see in that pic, maybe take a clearer pic? Good Luck with your little one.:)

Liam Owen

5 Year Member
Bloomington Indiana
Cool, my tort sue had something like that and I just did the soft brush and cleaned it off goodluck!!! also if you are worried about hurting him just do a little amount of brushing everyday during a soaking, PS Sulcatas are beast!!!:)

batman1973

5 Year Member
Florida
Hello everyone, first of all thank you for responding! ok, so i was closlely watching my little one when I saw bubbles coming out of her nose! OH NO! I knew what that meant. So I went back to the pet shop and Now the owner, not the employee, told me that they werent supposed to have sold me that one because it was reserved for someone that knew it had a cold! Actually I remember that convo between employees on saturday! I said well someone could have called me to let me know. If I hadn't paid attention being as new as I am to this it would've died and I would've felt guilty.
So I have a new one, very tiny. Now, they said I should soak it every day for about 20 minutes and there is no need to put water in the tank. please let me know as I assume all living creature need water. She is so tiny, i had to show her and put the spring mix in her mouth because she was eating bark!!
any suggestions are welcomed as I read so much I'm dizzy!

Attachments

• Tort.jpg
    Tort.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 85

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
What a cutie! You should change your substrate so that she wont eat it anymore. I recommend Coco-coir because it will not mold and it hold moisture the best. Soaking like they told you is a definite to help keep your baby hydrated. Your baby should always have access to water so bury a clay saucer to the rim in your enclosure and have a shallow amount of water in it. If you post some images of your enclosure we can give you some suggestions :)
Definitely read the links in Wellington's signature to learn how to help your baby grow healthy with a nice smooth shell. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Batman, Where are you? And more importantly, ask the pet shop what state the breeder/seller of that tortoise was in.

I have seen that sort of lesion before and it was a secondary bacterial infection that was linked to an immune system that was weakened by a horrible contagious disease. Does this tortoise also show some edema? Meaning when he pulled his legs in, did he look kinda fat?

Please tell me that you seriously disinfected the enclosure and threw away the old bedding before putting the new tortoise in there. If they were in the same cage at the pet shop, this won't matter. Be very careful with this. If it is what I think it is, you have a real bad bug on your hands.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
It might just be a sharpie point the breeder or supplier was using to identify what tortoise went with what batch cause we had a breeder that brought in bearded dragon with a spot of nail polish on its head to tell the different between yellow and red bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.