hatchling sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

anditslove

5 Year Member
So I got my first Sulcata yesterday for Christmas. My boyfriend got it from a local pet shop that we get all our snakes from. My boyfriend brought it home in an enclosure for me, right now he is on pellets, a hide, and a uvb/heat lamp thats a 100 watt. I am not quite sure what the ambient temperature. I have soaked it tonight for 15 minutes and I gave him some kale sprinkled with calcium on it. I was honestly just wondering what else I can do to make sure I am properly taking care of him. My boyfriend and I take care of 22 snakes and are both new to the world of tortoises any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
-Kyrsten

M

Maggie Cummings

You should have read this before you got it...but now you have him so read this and tell me what you think...

http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

and here's a link to another care sheet to help you out...

http://www.africantortoise.com/

Hatchling Sulcata are very fragile and I generally recommend them for experienced keepers only. But you have him so please read both care sheets and pay attention to how he acts and please continue to ask any questions you have...

TLL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
pellets aren't the best substrate.. but whenever you see a sulcata hatchling for sale, they have the poor babies on pellets.
i hear its not good for them..
i'd change the substrate and feed a variety because i hear kale has a lot of oxalates.
congrats on the new tort ! i know how it feels :)
and wow 22 snakes is a lot :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome:) congrats on your new tort do you have a name for him/her ?What kind of uvb light do you have ?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you are going to get a lot of info here.. Dont get overwhelmed,, one step at a time.. lots of things to consider, lots of people here with many years of expereince. Listen to them and READ READ READ>.. and with luck.. you will do great!!
Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.