I bought some sulcata tortoises!!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I am planning on taking care of my tortoises outdoors, in that case, do I need to buy lighting? I'll probably need to buy heat because it does get cold in the winters sometimes (but mostly it's very hot in the UAE)

Your babies are too young to be outside full time. To prevent pyramiding and for kidney health they need to have high humidity all the time. In order to achieve and maintain that level of humidity, you need the closed chambers. In an open top enclosure all the heat and humidity just excape right into the room.

You will need basking lights indoors.
If you can take them outside, in proper weather, for an hour 2-3 x/week, you do not need indoor UVB lighting. But if wintertime is too cold, you will need UVB indoors.

Your tortoises need to grow to around 9-10 inches long before living outside full time. At that time, you will need to build heated night boxes for them to go into when it's chilly.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
This approach could be deadly for one of your tortoises.

As they get a bit older, the aggression starts as bullying. The behaviors look cute to us, like following each other, eating together, sleeping together, snuggling together, but in reality is bullying. You may already be seeing signs of it with the tortoise you called female.

If you miss or ignore these signs (I'll just wait and see if it goes away), one morning you will get up and find a horribly mangled tortoise, or even two.

We all started out not knowing what we were doing. It's preferable to study and learn about a new animal before bringing it home. You did not do this.

Now, you have 2 babies who need specific care to grow and thrive. You can't afford to say "I'll read those when I have time". They need to be separated, and you will need 2 of everything.

Read those care sheets carefully. You need to build or buy 2 closed chambers. We have a member here who builds beautiful chambers, but I don't know if he would ship to UAE.

You need to buy proper lighting, proper heating, and proper food. And you need to do it now, not a week from now.

A suggestion for the closed chambers...get 2 grow tents from Amazon. They are probably the fastest, most economical way to get them enclosed.

View attachment 308464
View attachment 308465
Here's a link for these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You can buy most of what you need on Amazon and other online retailers. I don't know about shipping to UAE. Here's a few links:

Read this to help with lights and heat.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

You need an incandescent flood bulb (x 2), for basking. You may be able to buy them in a store. If not, here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ1E4M/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

For substrate you can use fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), cypress mulch, or coco coir. You would probably look in local nurseries.

That's most of it. I may have forgotten something though.

I hope this info will expedite getting your babies into proper enclosures, with proper equipment, ASAP.

I should've bought everything before hand, I'm feel very bad, I'll immediately start preparing everything for them, one question: do I need lighting if I'm gonna care for them outside?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Alright I will, but before buying tortoises, I researched about if they can be kept together and lots of websites said yes, I'm kinda disappointed and scared now I was excited please don't scare me I want to have some fun with my pets but now I'm scared

Most tortoise species do not get along living in pairs. But groups of 3 or more can often work out. The best situation is one male with 2 or 3 females.
That's another concern with keeping your 2 together. You can't know for certain what the genders are. If male and female, the male can hound the female, mating her, to death. He can chase her constantly, and do damage to her from incessant mating to the point of her death.

So if you got a third baby, you would have a better chance of success. But keep in mind, this does not always work out the way you want. You could possibly end up with 3 torts who are fighting and need separation.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much for help, I'm scared I won't be able to take good care of them and I don't want them to die because of bad caring, I now know the importance of caring for them and will immediately do what you said, I will buy "Exo Terra "Heat Wave Desert" Heat Mat" for heating, it seems to stick on the bottom of the enclosure and give heat, do you recommend this?

No, heat mats are not good for torts.

Check out the links I posted. Most everything is there. You will have to see if non- Amazon sellers will ship to UAE.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is there any way to know if my tortoises are too cold, too hot, too humid, do they show signs that they're called or hot? About humidity it's 69% humidity in Dubai today, that's not enough they need 80%, so how can I fix the humidity issue?
When you get the substrate, you will pour water into it and mix it up good with your hands. You'll do this until the substrate is nice and damp. Not soaked, but damp. This provides the humidity you need as long as it is in a closed chamber.

On my links, I forgot to include a thermometer/hygrometer. This is a thermometer combined with a hygrometer, which measures humidity. You might be able to buy them (get 2 or 3) at a store. Otherwise check on Amazon.

Too hot, too cold...all this is avoided in a closed chamber that is properly set up and monitored. Once set up, it is very easy to maintain. It takes the guesswork out of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really don't understand, how are they this sensitive and need that much care if they live in the wild and are wild animals? The wild is very harsh and has lots of predeators
300-1000 of them die in the wild for every one that makes it to adulthood.

We aren't interested in having them barely survive. We want them to thrive. The info you've been given will do that.

Most people do a lot of research beforehand. The problem is that most of the info you find is old, out-dated, and wrong. The same wrong info has been circulating and being taught to new generations for decades. In the early 90s, that is what I was taught, and I spent nearly twenty years teaching it to others. I was wrong, that info is wrong, and the people still repeating it are wrong. It took several decades to figure this all out, but all you have to do is read the care sheet and follow it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am planning on taking care of my tortoises outdoors, in that case, do I need to buy lighting? I'll probably need to buy heat because it does get cold in the winters sometimes (but mostly it's very hot in the UAE)
Babies will not do well outdoors. Adults do great outdoors with the right enclosures and shelters, but not babies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright I will, but before buying tortoises, I researched about if they can be kept together and lots of websites said yes, I'm kinda disappointed and scared now I was excited please don't scare me I want to have some fun with my pets but now I'm scared
Groups of babies or juveniles can usually work, but not PAIRS.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But if they shouldn't be kept in pairs then why does everybody do so? Most people with tortoises have 2 in the same enclousure
Because like you, they saw it on the internet, and the seller who wanted to make them more money told them it would be fine.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Eventually you will see those behaviors. Maybe they are still too young to exhibit them yet.

You can leave them together, but at the first sign of bullying, you must separate. The one being bullied can stop eating, hide all the time, and just go downhill. Personally, I think I wouldn't wait for that to happen. I would rather they both grow in happy healthy circumstances from the beginning.

I read in one of the care taking links I got sent that all the heating resources must be inside the enclosure, but I'm afraid my tortoises will get too close to the light and it'll damage them, how can I prevent that?

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Because like you, they saw it on the internet, and the seller who wanted to make them more money told them it would be fine.

Alright then I'll separate them, thank you for sharing your information, I don't know what would I've done without your help

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I read in one of the care taking links I got sent that all the heating resources must be inside the enclosure, but I'm afraid my tortoises will get too close to the light and it'll damage them, how can I prevent that?
In this enclosure there is a bar across the top provided with it to hang your lights from. Remember, it is a grow tent. Growers need grow lights...you need a basking light, a UVB light for winter, and a CHE (ceramic heating element) to provide heat at night when it is dark.

Links to all in post # 7.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
In this enclosure there is a bar across the top provided with it to hang your lights from. Remember, it is a grow tent. Growers need grow lights...you need a basking light, a UVB light for winter, and a CHE (ceramic heating element) to provide heat at night when it is dark.

Is this a good ceramic light? It seems good but of course you have more knowledge than me about this

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates

I probably wont need a UVB light because its very hot in Dubai, the weather is humid and warm all year long, barely any days past during the year when it's chilly and cold, which is good news since our little friends like humid and warm enviremonts!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
By using the correct size enclosure and mounting the bulbs at the correct height. Your thermometer will tell you the correct height for the basking bulb, and the LED lighting should be on the ceiling. If your babies can get an hour of access to sun in a safe outdoor enclosure with lots of shade two or three times a week, then you won't need indoor UV at all.

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
By using the correct size enclosure and mounting the bulbs at the correct height. Your thermometer will tell you the correct height for the basking bulb, and the LED lighting should be on the ceiling. If your babies can get an hour of access to sun in a safe outdoor enclosure with lots of shade two or three times a week, then you won't need indoor UV at all.

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Thank you so much I wouldn't be able to care for my tortoises without your help thank you I will do all this.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Is this a good ceramic light? It seems good but of course you have more knowledge than me about this

It looks ok. I'm not familiar with the brand but that doesn't matter.

It might be a little high on the wattage, depending what kind of enclosure. If you can afford it, get this one and also maybe a 75 watt. It just gives you a choice.