New spengleri Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Very excited about a new pair of spengleri that Steve and I got from Ben. They are amazing and I couldn't be more impressed with them thus far. Hopefully, I will be able to get some better photos and video footage of these guys soon. Right now, everything is a bit dark and not necessarily zoomed very well, as I don't want to disturb them too much yet.

Here's a video I threw together about this pair. They each ate 4 worms today. Something tells me I will need to watch their food intake.

http://trtlrm.com/10AkErL

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yes you do. Otherwise you will have obese Spengleri, and that won't do you or the animals any good. With that said, Earth Worms will not make them obese either.

I received an Adult pair that are the most obese Turtles I've seen. Not complaining, but that means I have work to do before they start doing the work for me....

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Cool video! Good luck with your breeding program! :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
EricIvins said:
Yes you do. Otherwise you will have obese Spengleri, and that won't do you or the animals any good. With that said, Earth Worms will not make them obese either.

I received an Adult pair that are the most obese Turtles I've seen. Not complaining, but that means I have work to do before they start doing the work for me....

Yeah I think it's one of those problems you don't mind having, like a baseball team having too many good pitchers. With that said, it can't be taken lightly. I think if you remind yourself of the fact that turtles, these guys especially, are opportunistic feeders and that they can go a long time without eating, then you can feel a little better about not offering food to them all the time.

Cool to hear that you have a pair. I'd love to hear about your progress with those hefty spengleri of yours sometime.

Thanks for looking guys :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Anthony P said:
Thanks Julie!

If anyone liked that video, you will like this new one even more! There has been a new egg related development with them that this video shows off. Life is beautiful :)

http://trtlrm.com/12m2xag

Come on! Needed two hands. Lol jk. Congrats on the eggs, talk about being comfortable right off the bat in the enclosure. Keep us updated on them both eggs and turtles.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Haha, I know I'm a bit of a baby, but I wanted to make sure I didn't roll them or crush them with the hide just because I wanted to get a shaky video! What I needed was another person down there to record for me, but that's not my style. I only have turtle friends ;-)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Hey guys,

Here are a few pics I took of the two of them today. I am obsessed with these guys and can't stop staring at them. The first two pics are of the male, and the rest are of the female.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Excellent. Wishing success for the captive reproducing of these for yah. The googley eyes on these guys crack me up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your pictures really make me miss the pair I had back in the stone age. I really liked those guys. Ahhh maybe again someday. :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ultra cool!!!...... Kelly yer right ... them eyes crack me up! Looks like a " dash board tort" ... does his head sway back and forth ? :p

Nice animals~:)

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
They look very good, glad they made the move without incident.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Haha, good comments guys. They really do look fake, like they could be a dashboard bobblehead toy. These turtles have been such an amazing blessing so far, and I am so lucky I let someone talk me into getting them...

Speaking of which, Ben... Do you think it's strange that the female gained 23 grams in only 2 days recently? She has been drinking a lot of water after having laid the two eggs a couple weeks ago. Hopefully you think this is normal. I know in your notes I see a good deal of fluctuation in weights, but nothing in such a short amount of time I don't think..

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Also excited to mention, but forgot to earlier, that I just received the Studbook numbers for these two! Couldn't be happier about that. It's not conserving them in their home range, but, it at least feels good to do what you can here to ensure any progress with them will be part of the official effort to help conserve them here.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I don't mind bumping my old stuff, obviously.

Here is the male, Wang, doing his second favorite thing, eating. Today he ate tomato, a first.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.