New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I put together this enclosure today for some new spengleri females I will be babysitting very soon. Our male is about as randy as they come, and given the shortage of spengleri males out there, his services should be offered for other lone females. A friend has four females, which will all spend time with our male, using this new enclosure for that time. Life is beautiful indeed.

The four females will be kept together in the large tub to the left. Our male resides in the grey tub and our female in the blue tub. Females will be placed with the male one by one, and his food intake will be increased during the time surrounding this busy period.

For the new, bigger enclosure, I made a hole in the center, which was covered with screen and egg crate for drainage. The tub was then placed on the lid, so excess moisture will collect there. The first layer of substrate was LDL (Lightweight Drainage Layer) material from neherpetoculture.com. On top of that, we have a mixture of peat moss, topsoil and cypress mulch. I added clumps of substrate from the two established tubs, complete with worms, and all sorts of creepy crawlys. Two large cork round hides, some Korean rock ferns, pothos, live moss, and a large peace lilly were also added. All was purchased from neherp, a great place for herp supplies. I will add a couple small water dishes and a few small pieces of clay pots tomorrow.

Sorry :-/

Wouldn't let me upload all the photos. Those were the smaller tubs I already have.

Here is a better shot showing all 3 tubs next to each other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 147

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
There's a guy in Austin Texas that has been breeding these guys like crazy, I don't remember his name (he is a DVM) but he had a vendor going at NARBC arlington this month. He has a hatchling up for sale for $250, but he said he has a lot more back at home waiting to hatch....said he has a colony of 30. But wow those setups are rad, whats the room temp and humidity set at...also how much uv exposure do these guys need?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
They don't need much UVB at all, and a basking heat source is not necessary. They are really easy. Those that use a UVB bulb say they do so for piece of mind basically.

Some people have big colonies left over from when you could get these guys for pennies, before 2004ish. 250 is a great price for a hatchling. I would jump on it, but I am hopeful that we will be hatching some eggs soon.

I found a two egg clutch from our female that are now 43 days through incubation. Both have appeared viable since day one. She has produced 4 viable eggs so far this year, which is very exciting for a spengleri. As much as I love them and want to buy more, I need to be patient and see how things go.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
So freaking cool, Anthony!! I'm so excited for you! I rank these guys right up there with my Manouria as far as personalites go. And just a stunning, unique species.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
harris said:
So freaking cool, Anthony!! I'm so excited for you! I rank these guys right up there with my Manouria as far as personalites go. And just a stunning, unique species.

Thanks!

I totally agree. I feel lucky to have a few species that I love to just hang out and watch. I try to watch my Actinemys, Emys, and Pyxis from a distance, because they all like to run from the shadows I cast over them. These guys though, seem to perk up when I approach.

There is also no better species to watch eat and there is nothing better than watching them court each other. They are very animated and their movements, especially when mating, are so ritualized.

Status
Not open for further replies.