New Russian Tortoise

Nedy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, KS
Here's a photo of the little guy that scared me witless his first full day at my home (yesterday). Today, he's acting like a normal guy -- working the parameter, checking out both 'hides', figuring out the water source, and currently sitting in the middle of his salad plate! He's really being active and it's 81 degrees with 56% humidity. Feels pretty miserable to me, but he seems to enjoy it.
He has a big red "R" painted on his shell -- I think it might be nail polish. ( The pet shop owner said the former owners had 'raced' him and that was his identifier.) I'm assuming it will wear off over time...if not, I'd definitely like to know the brand as I can't seem to keep nail polish on more than a few days! (grin ;-)
Two sides of his little corral are chainlink fencing -- one of those sides has the privacy slats and it's 8 ft tall. The 4 ft tall side was open links so I've put a 12 " board along the bottom to remove the visual. He ignores both chain link sides and works the pvc fencing which he can't climb. If he did manage to dig under or something - he'll find himself in his future space (also fenced). Right now his mini enclosure is about 8'x8'. The larger enclosure is 16 x 20 and includes a vegetable garden. I've read all the diet threads on this forum and don't believe any of the vegetables or their leaves will be harmful to him.
I understand they are quite the little climbers especially corners -- so I'm keeping a close eye on him but the chainlink corner has a large round fence post that would make it really hard for him to grasp the chain link on either side. I suppose anythings' possible so I'm being vigilant.

Attachments

• 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 56

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He's so cute! Everything sounds right... He'll have so much fun in that big yard!
:D They are little climbers! My RT tries to climb the walls every time he wants attention.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your set up sounds terrific. Don't worry about him working the PVC side. No matter how big an enclosure, they always test the limits.
So nice for him that it will be that size!

There are some nice tortoise seed mixes available if you are interested.

Draekonic

Ugh. It makes me sad when people do stupid things like painting on their torts. I prefer their natural beauty.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I didn't even know you could race a tortoise.... Lovely tortoise though. They do love to climb and dig, it's a Russian thing :)