New Russian Tortoise Enclosure Outdoors

akbecker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thornton, CO
See below for enclosure. Still need to plant it up a bit. The water dish and second hide are behind the forsythia.

Comments welcome for improvements (I already have a thread regarding a lid/top for it). I just wanted to share.20140514_120104.jpg 20140514_170614.jpg 20140514_170623.jpg 20140514_170839.jpg

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
And then here is the second enclosure for the female Russian Tortoise. There is a Greek still in the picture. I'm looking to re-home her, trade her for a female Russian, or if I don't find the right place I'll keep her. This weekend I am building two new enclosures for her and the female Russian - pictured here - at my sister's house since she has a large backyard filled with dandelions. I'll take pics of that after we finish. Then this enclosure will be the daytime enclosure for you juvenile leopard tortoise.

As you can see she just knocked over the Johnny-jump ups I have ready to plant. I also have Echinacea and a squash plant still to plant. I'm waiting until June and then hopefully the nursery's will be carrying the hardy hollyhocks that will survive CO winters, then I'll plant this one up with those, and several other edible perennials.

Comments welcome. The water dish is in the far left corner of the picture with the log hide - I don't think it is viewable in the pic though...20140514_121029.jpg 20140514_121124.jpg 20140514_121130.jpg 20140514_121145.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Very impressive! Nice overhang to the bricks, corners capped. Does your male have a bit of old shell damage on top, or is the lighting just strange?
I really like your set ups.

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
Yeah - I've mentioned it on other threads, and probably should have here since there are pictures. He's a rescue - and his former owners painted his shell pink and then drilled a hole in the very back of his shell, near the tail, so they could attach a tether so he wouldn't wander away. So sick! I picked him because his history tugged at me. He's super outgoing though and quite the little digger. I think twice now I've freaked out because I thought he escaped, only to find him dug down 12 inches in the substrate. Its amazing because I use to think I would notice that the dirt had been moved, but after he gets under it, its hard to tell.

Anyways, my niece loves him, calls him her "pink turtle" (she's 2) when she visits. Eventually, over the years, the pink should continue to come off. Its already far less then it was when the rescue obtained him.