Koopa My Hemann's Tortoise Enclosure

koopa_45

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone, I wanted to share a pic of my tortoise enclosure. I'm in the process of building a bigger enclosure. The pictured below is 48x20, his hide log not pictured. The plant is spider plant.
Koopa is on a escarole, endive lettuce, tortoise hay (from Tortoise Supply), grassland (moistened), mazuri, and dandelion diet. Any other suggestions regarding care is welcomed.

Thank you.

IMG_2137.jpeg

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello and welcome! I could be wrong, but Koopa looks like a Russian tortoise. Where did he come from?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
No, Hermann’s and Russians have similar care and diet.
You can look at this care sheet to help too.

koopa_45

California
No, Hermann’s and Russians have similar care and diet.
You can look at this care sheet to help too.
Thank you!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you!
You’re welcome! I don’t own a Russian myself, but I’m sure that care sheet will be very helpful and keepers of Russians will be more than willing to answer questions you may have.

koopa_45

California
I'm glad i know Koopa is Russian tortoise so i can do some research on care. Am I on the right track as far as enclosure? I will be building a larger enclosure for him will keep the same 50/50 substrate mix of a coconut fiber and soil.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm glad i know Koopa is Russian tortoise so i can do some research on care. Am I on the right track as far as enclosure? I will be building a larger enclosure for him will keep the same 50/50 substrate mix of a coconut fiber and soil.
I’m fairly new to tortoise keeping myself as I’ve only had my Hermann’s 7 months and my leopard 2 weeks. I would say you might want to add some more sight barriers like the plant you have and a hide or two. I’m not sure what lighting, heat, and uvb you are using from your picture, but you may want to post more pictures for others to help. I personally like to use orchid bark ( Reptibark in Pet stores) for my substrate, so I don’t know much about coconut fiber. I think that mix is ok, just can be messy.
I’m sure someone who knows way more than me will be around soon to help, but definitely take a look through that care sheet too.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Keep in mind that your tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Just be sure your new enclosure is that big.
Definitely be sure to add some hides, including a humid one. Next time you change the substrate, I would switch out the soil for fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch. The soil gets muddy when wet, and could include poisonous plants in its composition.