New russian baby!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@Kenn Batingal , were you offended?? :( I hope not. I believe we point out the negative first because Kenn said, "if you have tips or suggestions", and therefore, we feel the need to give suggestions. @WhitneyO Please feel free to post pictures, and don't be shy in saying, "I just want someone to be happy for me, I'll ask for advice later if I need any!".

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
@Kenn Batingal , were you offended?? :( I hope not. I believe we point out the negative first because Kenn said, "if you have tips or suggestions", and therefore, we feel the need to give suggestions. @WhitneyO Please feel free to post pictures, and don't be shy in saying, "I just want someone to be happy for me, I'll ask for advice later if I need any!".
Maybe not the case here but it does happen often.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I figured that's what I should do. I have also instructed our house help to bask them at around 8 in the morning for at least 30 mins and they're placed in plastic containers with shallow water. Would that be enough soaking? Taking care a baby makes me feel nervous.
Should be fine. :)
20 minutes plus, says the caresheet!

Kenn Batingal

No I wasnt. I noticed the pyramiding when I opened up the package. I think I can manage correcting it. He's still far too small for it to be too evident when he grows up :)

Marinated mamma

South east uk
I'm not trying to be negative here, but why is it when someone shows a new tortoise that automatically point everything negative. I'm so scared to post any pictures of my tortoises. All my babies have smooth shells but I am so scared someone will find something negative to say instead of just being positive. Maybe message the person if you have concerns.
I love this!
But I don't think we mean to be mean Whitney we just know the problems that we have faced and want to warn others not to follow in our footsteps, well that's my problem anyway! I'm really sorry to anyone if I've ever made them feel like this and from now on I'll be keeping my mouth firmly shut! Sorry folks and thanks Whitney for pointing this out!

Last edited:

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not trying to be negative here, but why is it when someone shows a new tortoise that automatically point everything negative. I'm so scared to post any pictures of my tortoises. All my babies have smooth shells but I am so scared someone will find something negative to say instead of just being positive. Maybe message the person if you have concerns.
I believe experienced TFO members may post something "negative" simply to help newer members notice any potential issues and as a result help them to provide their torts with the best possible care. Personally I've found such comments quite useful ;)

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
Let me clarify what I am trying to say a little bit more. I know that this forum is always about helping the newbies. And I have questions as well. This forum may not be a great example because he did indeed ask for suggestions. I just see it constantly tho throughout all the post. I am just really passionate about reptiles period and I have been dealing with reptiles for a very long time but I always see more people "bashing" or cutting down people when they post pictures or say how they do things or run things or how they do a setup. It just scares me to really put myself out there. I hope no one took offense to my post. i apologize if this made any one angry.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I have another tortoise, an elongata named Voldie (Voldetort) who is a breeze to care for since I only feed her in the afternoon. Lol.

Voldie is absolutely stunning; that light face is exceptional. She could be a bit too young to be displaying secondary sex characteristics, but the tail looks female to me. Male elongata have impressive tails (and at least mine readily show off the goods).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Let me clarify what I am trying to say a little bit more. I know that this forum is always about helping the newbies. And I have questions as well. This forum may not be a great example because he did indeed ask for suggestions. I just see it constantly tho throughout all the post. I am just really passionate about reptiles period and I have been dealing with reptiles for a very long time but I always see more people "bashing" or cutting down people when they post pictures or say how they do things or run things or how they do a setup. It just scares me to really put myself out there. I hope no one took offense to my post. i apologize if this made any one angry.
Some of us repeat the same suggestions on almost a daily basis trying to help new members. Sometimes the suggestions sound negative but I don;t think that most of us are trying to upset anyone. (I said most;)) And they get repeated so often that maybe they get posted sounded like they are uncaring and disrespectful. Truth is that if that person didn't care, they wouldn't have responded.
it would be far more hurtful to NOT point out something in the end. And then see that damage has been done. Wouldn't it?
Though I know how frustrating it is to work SO HARD and spend a lot of money, only to be told that you should do or buy something else. Been there myself.
Maybe if you feel intimidated you could seek out advice from a member whom you feel comfortable with via P.M.
Please never feel so uncomfortable that you don't ask a question or seek advice.
Even members that have been around for ages ask for help in some matters.
Most of us are not able to articulate well through this media. You are not the first to be upset. But I think it's bad in general to tell someone how great they are doing when in fact you honestly feel that it isn't.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Some of us repeat the same suggestions on almost a daily basis trying to help new members. Sometimes the suggestions sound negative but I don;t think that most of us are trying to upset anyone. (I said most;)) And they get repeated so often that maybe they get posted sounded like they are uncaring and disrespectful. Truth is that if that person didn't care, they wouldn't have responded.
it would be far more hurtful to NOT point out something in the end. And then see that damage has been done. Wouldn't it?
Though I know how frustrating it is to work SO HARD and spend a lot of money, only to be told that you should do or buy something else. Been there myself.
Maybe if you feel intimidated you could seek out advice from a member whom you feel comfortable with via P.M.
Please never feel so uncomfortable that you don't ask a question or seek advice.
Even members that have been around for ages ask for help in some matters.
Most of us are not able to articulate well through this media. You are not the first to be upset. But I think it's bad in general to tell someone how great they are doing when in fact you honestly feel that it isn't.
I understand her sentiments, and when she voiced her thoughts on this I struggled with how to say exactly this. I didnt want to come off as criticizing or condescending. After a couple of minutes of typing and erasing, I just walked away to sort out how to properly voice my feelings on the issue. Then I never made it back to the thread... I'm good at that.

I wish that everyone on the Internet understood that they should never ever take anything said online personal, especially on a site like this one. I really feel the overwhelming majority of people here mean no disrespect. Out of all the corners of the Internet I frequent this may be the nicest group of people I know.

I feel like maybe not critiquing something is awful close to giving it a seal of approval. There are a lot of lurkers and first time visitors that pass through a site like this, and if they see threads with pictures of enclosures that aren't optimal and everyone gives it their seal of approval or doesn't say anything, then they don't learn that the enclosure isn't optimal.

To me that is kind of what this whole thing is about. We all love tortoises, and this is a group of people the genuinely want to improve their level of care across the board.

Ask the top experts here and I promise you they will admit there was a time they did things wrong too.

Anyways I acknowledge this is getting way off topic, but this a thought that resonated with me.

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
I understand her sentiments, and when she voiced her thoughts on this I struggled with how to say exactly this. I didnt want to come off as criticizing or condescending. After a couple of minutes of typing and erasing, I just walked away to sort out how to properly voice my feelings on the issue. Then I never made it back to the thread... I'm good at that.

I wish that everyone on the Internet understood that they should never ever take anything said online personal, especially on a site like this one. I really feel the overwhelming majority of people here mean no disrespect. Out of all the corners of the Internet I frequent this may be the nicest group of people I know.

I feel like maybe not critiquing something is awful close to giving it a seal of approval. There are a lot of lurkers and first time visitors that pass through a site like this, and if they see threads with pictures of enclosures that aren't optimal and everyone gives it their seal of approval or doesn't say anything, then they don't learn that the enclosure isn't optimal.

To me that is kind of what this whole thing is about. We all love tortoises, and this is a group of people the genuinely want to improve their level of care across the board.

Ask the top experts here and I promise you they will admit there was a time they did things wrong too.

Anyways I acknowledge this is getting way off topic, but this a thought that resonated with me.
I agree to this and I wish I wouldn't have said anything.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Don't. Discussion is important. Sometimes discussion about how to discuss is especially important. Maybe both sides need to be reminded of this. One side to understand that it really isn't meant to be a negative, and one side to think carefully about how to word their thoughts.

I'm serious about this. Thank you for voicing your opinion. Discussion and debate are what push us forward. Please don't ever wish you hadn't expressed yourself.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gorgeous! Just one question: do you give your tort daily soaks in warm water? Am asking as there's slight pyramiding, and NOT saying so to hurt you.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!