New russian baby!

Kenn Batingal

Hi all! I would like you to meet Keian. I've been after a russian for weeks and now I finally have one. He eats like a champ! He ate immediately after I opened the package. I know I made the right choice with this little guy, I can already tell that he's full of personality. I will just assume his sex for now. If you have any tips and suggestions please feel free to comment. :) :D

Attachments

• 1473323303636.jpg
    1473323303636.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1473323319340.jpg
    1473323319340.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1473323339409.jpg
    1473323339409.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 45
  • 1473323388148.jpg
    1473323388148.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1473323409059.jpg
    1473323409059.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 1473323435108.jpg
    1473323435108.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • 1473323630770.jpg
    1473323630770.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kenn, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Keian.
He's gorgeous! :)
However, he looks a little bumpy to me, so ensure you keep up his humidity and give him daily soaks to begin.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
to begin as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
Please ask if you have any questions, there are lots of experienced Russian keepers (I am not one) around who will be only too happy to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree on the slight pyramiding. He's been kept dry before you got him. Follow the caresheets and he will do fine. He is a handsome follow though and glad your already enjoying him. They do have quite the personality.

Kenn Batingal

Thank you guys! I will do everything I could to correct the pyramiding. And also it looks like he's really a he. Can anyone confirm that? It looks like his plastron is beginning to look more concave. I am not sure though. He's too tiny to tell I guess. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you guys! I will do everything I could to correct the pyramiding. And also it looks like he's really a he. Can anyone confirm that? It looks like his plastron is beginning to look more concave. I am not sure though. He's too tiny to tell I guess. :)
You'll have to wait a few years to know for sure. Congratulations

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Wow what a little cutie! I love the pics of him eating from your hands seems like he's got some real character! I WANT HIM
he's adorable

Kenn Batingal

Thank you guys. I get giddy everytime I look at him. He's so cute! And also, how often should I feed him? I haven't established a schedule yet. I woke him up yesterday and he ate after being warmed up but today he only ate a few nibbles and it seems he's more interested in sleeping. I leave the house at 6:30 am and come back in the evening. I do have a helper when I am not around. Should I just leave food in and check in the evening? I also soaked him early yesterday but I don't know if waking him up is the best thing for him

Kenn Batingal

I have another tortoise, an elongata named Voldie (Voldetort) who is a breeze to care for since I only feed her in the afternoon. Lol.

Attachments

• 1473385798984.jpg
    1473385798984.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 25

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What a CUTE Russian! Russians are my absolute favorite, so I love seeing baby pictures! Congratulations, looks healthy besides the pyramiding and I'm sure you can stop it! And Voldie is adorable, but I do believe she is a he from the picture, but I'd have to see a closer shot to be sure. :) Your Russian looks like he's got spunk alright. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you guys. I get giddy everytime I look at him. He's so cute! And also, how often should I feed him? I haven't established a schedule yet. I woke him up yesterday and he ate after being warmed up but today he only ate a few nibbles and it seems he's more interested in sleeping. I leave the house at 6:30 am and come back in the evening. I do have a helper when I am not around. Should I just leave food in and check in the evening? I also soaked him early yesterday but I don't know if waking him up is the best thing for him
It's a tad early, I'd be livid!
Put the food in in the morning for the day ahead.
If there's none left when you get home, increase the quantity.
He won't overeat.
Couldn't you soak him in the evenings ?

Kenn Batingal

What a CUTE Russian! Russians are my absolute favorite, so I love seeing baby pictures! Congratulations, looks healthy besides the pyramiding and I'm sure you can stop it! And Voldie is adorable, but I do believe she is a he from the picture, but I'd have to see a closer shot to be sure. :) Your Russian looks like he's got spunk alright. :)
Really? Lol I thought my elongata is female. Her hemipenis never showed and her tail is short. :) I will take another pic later

GingerLove

5 Year Member
You may be right... I'd have to see another photo to be sure, but it looked male to me compared to my female. ;) If you post a pic I'm sure everyone would be glad to chime in and guess the gender. :)

Kenn Batingal

It's a tad early, I'd be livid!
Put the food in in the morning for the day ahead.
If there's none left when you get home, increase the quantity.
He won't overeat.
Couldn't you soak him in the evenings ?
I figured that's what I should do. I have also instructed our house help to bask them at around 8 in the morning for at least 30 mins and they're placed in plastic containers with shallow water. Would that be enough soaking? Taking care a baby makes me feel nervous.

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
I'm not trying to be negative here, but why is it when someone shows a new tortoise that automatically point everything negative. I'm so scared to post any pictures of my tortoises. All my babies have smooth shells but I am so scared someone will find something negative to say instead of just being positive. Maybe message the person if you have concerns.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm not trying to be negative here, but why is it when someone shows a new tortoise that automatically point everything negative. I'm so scared to post any pictures of my tortoises. All my babies have smooth shells but I am so scared someone will find something negative to say instead of just being positive. Maybe message the person if you have concerns.

Great post!!