New RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Also good news, I soaked him today and as I took him out he let a big poop fall into the water. It seemed semi-solid so I think he's okay! If anyone lives in the NY,NJ area I bought him from petland discounts, does anyone know if their tortoises are CB? I doubt it but worth a shot

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
lMorphine said:
Thanks. I have no problem taking him to a vet but the check up alone is 150$ so its quite the burden but for bubba its worth it lol

If he is doing as well as you mention, no need for a check up yet. At most, a fecal check at some point, but if he is your only tort and healthy, even that might not be needed.

Good news about his poo,lol.

He is nice looking. Clearer views of his bum and undershell to help figure out if it is a he or she?
99% chance he is wild caught.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Its definitely a he. He has a long point tail with almost a "barb" at the top. Ill definitely give you pics for your opinion. I also have a question about his substrate. I went and bought coco husk and put in it. I wet it slightly but what I did was I did 40 pounds of sand and then covered with about 2" of the coco husk. Is that okay? Or should I mix it in together? Add more husk? Thanks for the help. Also the humidity is at 30% right now should I higher that or lower it? Not sure on humidity

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A lot of keepers like sand mixed with topsoil or coir. You see different percentages: 50/50, or 70/30sand.
Some other keepers worry that sand has caused eye irritation. However, when you view Med torts including Russians in their native climate, they certainly live on sand in a large part of their environment.
Personally, I like topsoil mixed with coir, but you will get a lot of different feedback about substrate.

So how many inches of sand is that? If you decide to use it, be sure to mix it in with the other substrate (coir), so the majority is that substrate. So you might need to get more coir (not sure what 'husk' is?)

Once you get your substrate mixed up nicely, add water so that the bottom layers are moist, it is OK if the top dries out.
Perhaps make a mound in the middle.
Don't worry about the humidity in the air, Russians burrow down for their moisture.
When my torts are inside, I just pour water in from a teapot a couple of times per week and mix it in.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Well its about 6" in total. So if I mix it in it will be predominately sand. I will add water to the lower layers of substrate. He keeps digging down and laying there but it doesnt cover him and also husk is what the petstore recommended. I think its the same as coir but "/ now I dont know.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Your idea for a setup sounds great and is exactly what I"m doing. He looks quite good asides the stool you mentioned.

You said it's around 75F in your house with AC on? That's more than fine. It's sub 60F that is problematic for them. Especially for a lower night time temperature than his typical day time, 75 sounds good.

Beautiful shell on 'em, too.

Also, I'm no pro, but I'd have to say he looks like a T.h.horsfieldii subspecies. :)

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Haha thanks for your help! Ive been waiting for replies all day. I have a picture of his stool so Ill show you for your opinions if its odd or not.
9gfq6g.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks like there is some sand in it. It is formed, I don't think it is odd.
When they have foods like Optunia cactus, their stools are a bit more soft, so there is variety.

For an indoor enclosure, I think I would try to avoid a layer of pure sand if he is burrowing down.
I think it might be a good idea to get rid of the lot, and replace with organic topsoil (places like Home Depot or Lowes are fine sources) mixed with Coir.

How about a picture of or a link to the stuff the pet store calls 'husks'?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
So you add warm water and let it expand to a substrate? This is the same, then as coir that is mentioned. It should look very fluffy and fine, not like chips of bark.

Can you scoop out most of the sand (push the coir aside)? Then add in some organic topsoil, to make up about 4-6"?

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Yeah I can head to home depot tommorow for it. I actually think I messed the husk up because its like chips of bark and not fluffy and fine so Ill have to soak it more tommorow once I get the topsoil. Any organic topsoil is fine?

bud

5 Year Member
Was it poo or pee? If it had solid white discharge along with the clear liquid then it was pee and, usually just means that he had extra water in his system, more than he needs, pee should be fairly solid/thick white. This is not a bad thing and usually happens from eating a lot of food high in moisture content, like lettuce. Lettuce really is just a filler as it has no real nutritional value so make sure he gets mostly other greens like kale, collard greens, dandelion, etc.

If it was poo then maybe they were feeding him fruit, not good for RT's.

Also, put up a visual barrier around the bottom outside of the tank 12 inches high. This will greatly reduce stress. Since the tank is temporary then maybe use a wide painters tape.

Congrats!

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
The tank is surrounded by a background on 3 sides is that good? And sometimes he pee's clear and white and sometimes its poo

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you and I noticed I brought him outside and he mad such a wet soft poop but inside he doesn't poop at all . Idk

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, at least his plumbing is functioning well. Perhaps the excitement of being outside, lol?
Their poo will change depending on what they eat. Optunia cactus will make it softer, drier weeds will make it, well, drier.

As long as you know he is hydrated, it really sounds as if he is doing fine.

I found a non treated place with come chicory leaves and flowers, and they all loved them.

At some point, get some spineless Optunia cactus and plant a few pots in sandy soil. (let the 'leaf' dry out for 2-3 days, then submerge it 1/3 to 1/2 into the soil and water, let soil dry out between waterings. You can harvest the leaves, and they are so fresh!

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
I soak him everyday to help him. I feed him a bit of collard greens, bok choy, kale, and timothy hay. Everyday.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Those are good foods. Be sure to rotate what you feed him. This time of year, look for untreated weeds. Spring mix makes a good base if you don't have access to weeds or flowers, then add 1-2 different other greens or weeds every couple of days.
Variety is very important; as in the wild, they get a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
(you can case out your neighbor's yards and borrow a flower/leaf or two...oh wait, I didn't say that, did I?)

This is a good list to draw from:
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

And this for edible plants:
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
I actually just started dandelion greens, dandelion flowers, collard greens and kale. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.