New RT owner, is this normal?

Russiantort23

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Hey all! I recently acquired a Russian tortoise that a friend found on a hike on Oahu. Since I’m new to owning him/her I want to make sure I’m doing it right. So here’s a few health questions I have.

1) he poops ALL the time, and it’s soupy/wet. I know it’s supposed to be more solid so I’m wondering what could cause a change in his poop?

2) his shell is kind of peeling,I’ll include a picture of it. Is it normal? Should I be doing anything to care for it?

3) he eats so much! The more research I do on feeding it seems the more differing answers I get. So what do you all feed your RTs in a week? So far I give him spring mix, kales, cilantro, carrots, hibiscus, prickly pear, and dandelions plus calcium supplants and pellets

CBB21F4B-53A8-4C5E-8262-FDF68ABE8AD4.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I dont think it looks too bad, the peeling is old damage and its coming off because new shell has grown underneath. Here is the care sheet for these guys. Forget what you have read or been told previously, this care sheet covers everything you need and if you have questions then feel free.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The fruit and carrots are too full of sugar for this species -- and no doubt to blame for the stool consistency. Read the care sheet Yossarian linked for the proper diet, and things should improve.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hey all! I recently acquired a Russian tortoise that a friend found on a hike on Oahu. Since I’m new to owning him/her I want to make sure I’m doing it right. So here’s a few health questions I have.

1) he poops ALL the time, and it’s soupy/wet. I know it’s supposed to be more solid so I’m wondering what could cause a change in his poop?

2) his shell is kind of peeling,I’ll include a picture of it. Is it normal? Should I be doing anything to care for it?

3) he eats so much! The more research I do on feeding it seems the more differing answers I get. So what do you all feed your RTs in a week? So far I give him spring mix, kales, cilantro, carrots, hibiscus, prickly pear, and dandelions plus calcium supplants and pellets
Welcome to the forum. Lots of CARING tort owners here with experience. You are in the right place.