New RT owner - habitat feedback wanted

TortDad83

Location (City and/or State)
Troy
Hello - I built a habit for our adult male RT. First time owning a tort (or reptile of any kind). It’s approximately 7ft x 3.5ft and has approximately 4” deep of Eco Earth and Forest Floor mix.

I have two incandescent basking lights that are 125 watts each (temp under each light is about 93 degrees). The UVB is a ReptiZoo 10.0 T5 HO. UV reading is 1.5 at 4” above soil as measured with a SolarMeter 6.5R.

Both lights are on a 13 hour timer.

Any feedback about suggested changes are welcome. We just received our tort today and I want to make sure it’s cared for appropriately.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two basking lights are not needed. The temp should range from 95-100 in basking area and then drop over the enclosure down to the coolest being 75. It can drop into the 60's at night.
What is the white square dish that looks like it has a ramp? Remove it if it's a ramped water dish, they can be a drowning hazard.

TortDad83

Troy
Two basking lights are not needed. The temp should range from 95-100 in basking area and then drop over the enclosure down to the coolest being 75. It can drop into the 60's at night.
What is the white square dish that looks like it has a ramp? Remove it if it's a ramped water dish, they can be a drowning hazard.
Thanks - does two basking lamps hurt if they’re both in the same end of the habitat? It’s in the basement, so ambient is ~68 degrees.

Water dish already removed, it was empty. We have a different shallow dish with low sides.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thanks - does two basking lamps hurt if they’re both in the same end of the habitat? It’s in the basement, so ambient is ~68 degrees.

Water dish already removed, it was empty. We have a different shallow dish with low sides.
As long as your temperatures are what they need to be, there’s no harm in having 2 basking lamps. Your thermometer should be your guide for what your enclosure requires. My indoor enclosure is similarly sized and I have 2 basking spots, but I have one on each end instead of both on the same side. Your tortoise would likely enjoy a dark piece of slate under the basking lamp. It warms up nicely and in turn, helps your tortoise to warm up more easily and effectively. If you get a piece of slate, be sure to monitor the surface temperature for the first hour so you can adjust the height of your lamp accordingly. The basking spot will get much hotter than without the slate. It would be more beneficial to have the UV fixture mounted closer to the basking spot to ensure your tortoise is getting enough exposure.

Last edited:

TortDad83

Troy
As long as your temperatures are what they need to be, there’s no harm in having 2 basking lamps. Your thermometer should be your guide for what your enclosure requires. My indoor enclosure is similarly sized and I have 2 basking spots, but I have one on each end instead of both on the same side. Your tortoise would likely enjoy a dark piece of slate under the basking lamp. It warms up nicely and in turn, helps your tortoise to warm up more easily and effectively. If you get a piece of slate, be sure to monitor the surface temperature for the first hour so you can adjust the height of your lamp accordingly. The basking spot will get much hotter than without the slate.
Awesome - thanks! I do have a slab of slate under one of the lamps. I placed my Govee thermometer on it and it shows ~93 after sitting for a couple of hours under the lamp. I’ll have to check it with my laser thermometer also.

Is my UV reading (1.5) OK if the lamp is on for 13 hours?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awesome - thanks! I do have a slab of slate under one of the lamps. I placed my Govee thermometer on it and it shows ~93 after sitting for a couple of hours under the lamp. I’ll have to check it with my laser thermometer also.

The UV only needs to be on for 2-4 hours a day.
And no, it doesn't hurt to have two basking lights if it's needed for heat and light.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
That’s great that you already have slate. I missed it in the picture. Definitely use the laser thermometer for surface temperatures. I have the Govee thermometers too and they’re great for reading air temperatures, but the laser thermometer gun should be used for surface. I added a couple more things to my first post at the end as well. For the UV bulb 13 hours is not necessary and will use your bulb up more quickly. At 1.5 I’d do 4 or 5 hours. When I edited my other post I added that it would be most beneficial for the tortoise if the UV was run along where the basking lights are. This was you can ensure he is getting the proper amount of exposure. If you leave your UV where it is, then I’d leave it on longer since your tortoise will only be under it in passing.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

One more thing. That basking spot should be closer to the 98-100 range. You may need to drop you bulb a little lower, depending on what surface temp you get with the laser thermometer.

I forgot to say earlier, WELCOME TO THE FORUM and congrats on your tortoise. I think you will find having a tortoise quite fulfilling once you get everything dialed in. 🙂

TortDad83

Troy
Thanks for all of the feedback. I’ll make some adjustments to get the temps and UV dialed in!

TortDad83

Troy
Just wanted to update that UV light is moved to same area as basking lights.

Have the basking lights set at a height that yields a temp of 98 degrees when measured at the top of our tortoises shell after he’s laid under it for an hour.

Bought a Kasa smart power strip so I can control each outlet with a schedule. UV runs for 5 hours and basking bulbs run for 13.