New owner seeking set up feedback

cdumitru78

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I got three awesome western hermann's from Chris (by the way, the guy is incredible with this passion for these awesome creatures and willingness to help!) and I am looking for some feedback for my set up.

Currently using:

ZooMed Turtle tortoise house (i know this might not be idea due to difficulties in keeping humidity levels up, but that is what we ended up buying before I did all my research, planning to design and build a better set up once I move them into our garage)
Substrate - ZooMed Forest Floor natural Cypress Mulch mixed with Eco Earth Coconut Fiber, mixed ratio 2 to 1, about 3.5 inches deep. I thought the Mulch would hold moisture better and seems to be less dusty.
Lights - initially bought a ZooMed Dual Dome fixture but quickly learned that is not recommended, so swapped to a
Zilla 8.5 reflector dome with a 100w repti basking spot lamp and a reptisum terrarium hood with a 10 UVB lamp.
Using 2 of the cheap dual analog thermometers/humidity gauges, plan to replace them once I find a nice wireless multiple probe unit, open to suggestions there.
Food - going off what Chris recommended, will also get the original Mazuri tortoise food.

Any thoughts, suggestions, thank you in advance!

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
I use a 50 gallon stock tank and I've built it into a closed chamber to retain proper humidity. Not sure how you'll maintain humidity at the moment. Greenhouse Plastic

For temp/hygrometer I have a hand held probe as well as a Xaiomi Mi Temp/Humidity sensor which reports to my smartthings hub (need customer device handler). So I can check via my phone anytime. This wifi camera is great for remote viewing and motion sensing.

Maybe consider not your garage if cars come in and out, I wouldn't subject my tort to that.

Can check my other posts for more info.
Upgrading Greenhouse Plastic
Planning for a Hermann's
DIY Baby Closed Chamber

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Yeah, the housing is the biggest question for now, trying to find something that looks semi decent and does the job. For now, we spray it a few times a day and we seem to be able to maintain humidity. I thought about putting a cover on it at night, not sure about pro's and con's with that, learning as much as I can. There has to be someone that makes or offers a better option than a rubbermaid plastic enclosure, or I may have to try to build one from scratch.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Definitely put a cover on at night, but make sure you turn off heat.. read Chris's care sheets for both Greek and hermanns. 98% of all the questions you can think of are answered there.

Inkbird makes a nice wireless, app friendly temp and humidity gauge... It's on Amazon. I will try to find link and post it

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I was planning on going with the Rubbermaid bin as well but once the Mrs saw it she said I had to change it... Without delay, I placed the Animal Plastics order...12-18 weeks out.