New rf enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samvega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi everyone! My first redfoot will be here Wednesday. I am so excited! I just finished my enclosure and wanted to share it.

There are two or three plants in there that I am not 100 percent positive are okay. I bought them at home depot and they were not identified on the label, just listed as 'house plants'. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to take them out.

I was hoping someone could comment on the light fixture I have attached to the side of the glass. My concern is that it may be too low and might hurt my tort in some way. I put it there because I have acrylic over the glass tank (40 gallon) and didn't know where else to put it. I'm not sure if my heat/humidity is sufficient yet, since I literally finished this an hour ago. I will post more pics once she's here!

I'd love some feedback, please let me know if I overlooked something! :)

DSC_0537~0.JPG

DSC_0538~0.JPG

DSC_0539~0.JPG

DSC_0540~0.JPG

DSC_0545~0.JPG

DSC_0541~0.JPG

And this last one is her... obviously not my photo, but from my breeder. :)

luna~0.jpg

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thank you everyone! I hope she will be very comfortable here :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your enclosure is fantastic, but why do you have two long tube lights? Are they UVB? I really don't think you would need two. I use one 5.0 UVB (fixture for a 20 gal. tank) on one side and a heat emitter on the other side. Just what I do, not written in stone of course. When I first got my Cherries, I was told...low light and high humidity. I think your enclosure is exceptional, and of course that little Cherry is beautiful!

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Terryo, I'm glad you asked about that, it's something I've been debating. I originally just bought the one, it's a zoo med UVB and UVA. But my boyfriend commented that I should try to use his 10 watt plain fluorescent to give more light to the plants that weren't getting enough.

terryo said:
When I first got my Cherries, I was told...low light and high humidity.

She is just a northern rf, not cherry, but do cherries and northerns require the same? I just don't know much about cherries. The extra light is definitely something I can take out. I know many of the plants will be trampled and eaten anyway. Her health is number one, so if forum members think it's too much, I will get rid of it.

Thank you for the comment :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She looks like a Cherry Head to me. I would take away one of the lights. If there is too much light they'll be hiding all the time....from my past experience anyway....which isn't too much. I've only hade mine for 5 years, and I found that they do better when they're inside with lower light. It's so exciting when they come, I know.

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
terryo said:
She looks like a Cherry Head to me. I would take away one of the lights. If there is too much light they'll be hiding all the time....from my past experience anyway....which isn't too much. I've only hade mine for 5 years, and I found that they do better when they're inside with lower light. It's so exciting when they come, I know.

Thank you for your input. :) I'm going to take out the other light.

Do you know how many hours a day most rf owners keep their lights on? I have mine on a timer for 12 hours right now, but I really have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.