New pancakes, how long before they start eating/acclimate?

elainelim

Hi guys,

I have a trio of pancakes that I just got yesterday. I know it takes time for them to acclimate and start eating, but how long does that take usually?

They are in an outdoor pen, where they get sun and shade at the same time, half the pen is under a roof. I also have a mercury vapour bulb to stand in when it is raining or cloudy.

Temps are regularly 80-90 in the afternoon sun, and 80 at night.
Humidity is 60-80% with 80 being in the mornings and nighttime.

Many crevices in wood and rocks for them to hide. The entire pen is planted with edible flaura.

So far, they have not nibbled or tried to eat any of the weeds and plants in their pen. I also provide chopped up bokchoy and mustard greens plus some of the weeds in their pen on a tray. No go for those either.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
If you go in the section on species specific there should be a care sheet. I'm a newbie but I see multiple recommendations on soaking when you first get them.

elainelim

If you go in the section on species specific there should be a care sheet. I'm a newbie but I see multiple recommendations on soaking when you first get them.

Well, I soaked them for about 10 minutes in tepid water, one took off at light speed, another took a drink, and another sat there for the entire time. While soaking them, I inspected the plants carefully and it seems like the torts are sampling the plant buffet. Nibbles everywhere, mostly on young shoots and the aspleniums.

So they might be eating after all.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good, sounds like they needed hydrating too. So I would keep bathing regular.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yep, Some even say every day. But every other day is good.
Can we see some photos, I love pancake torts. I have the opportunity to take a well established pair, but don't want to take too many different species on:(. Never mind, reds and hinges will keep me happy. :) I can just watch you pancakes. lol

elainelim

//////////////////////////////////////////////
Can we see some photos, I love pancake torts. I have the opportunity to take a well established pair, but don't want to take too many different species on:(. Never mind, reds and hinges will keep me happy. :) I can just watch you pancakes. lol

Of course, I'll take them in the morning. Its dark here already :)

elainelim

Here they are, the one eating is the least shy. They love nettles and aspleniums. They also love young shoots of any flower.

Attachments

• IMG_20150204_134706.jpg
    IMG_20150204_134706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Here they are, the one eating is the least shy. They love nettles and aspleniums. They also love young shoots of any flower.
Hi Elainelim

Just finished work and thought I'd have another look at your torts. They look amazing. How big are they, and do you have water available to them in your enclosure.

Craig

elainelim

Hi Elainelim

Just finished work and thought I'd have another look at your torts. They look amazing. How big are they, and do you have water available to them in your enclosure.

Craig

Hey Craig, yes they do, they have a large flowerpot dish on the cooler side of the pen, so that water doesn't evaporate faster than they would under the sun.

The largest one is around 4.5 inches which the smaller ones around 4. They have been eating really well. They love petunias, young shoots of anything, aspleniums, with nibbles here and there. I basically rotate grocery greens on a plate for them while they also have access to all the weeds and flowers in pen. Will be getting them some timothy and bermuda grass hay next week.

I also offer them mazuri but then don't seem to like it. I have soaked them twice since I have them, they seem to be getting used to it.

Ive added more rocks to make slopes and crevices, and boy do they love to climb.