New Owner

Geri

Hi, I just acquired a gorgeous male Russian tortoise. I never had a tortoise before so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Especially since I live in Wisconsin so living outside all year is out of the question. I'm a grandmother of 4, married 42 years and love my dogs, frogs, turtles and now the tortoise. Also a pure cheeseheaded Packer fan! Glad to have found this place.20160828_112656.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi, I just acquired a gorgeous male Russian tortoise. I never had a tortoise before so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Especially since I live in Wisconsin so living outside all year is out of the question. I'm a grandmother of 4, married 42 years and love my dogs, frogs, turtles and now the tortoise. Also a pure cheeseheaded Packer fan! Glad to have found this place.View attachment 185240
A very warm welcome to the forum! :)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet. Give your soak daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

Don't mean to scare you: take care; the dog could very easily harm, even chew up a tort. :(

Ask all the questions you want: we are here to help.:D

Any pic(s) of the tort's enclosure?;)

Geri

20160830_131455.jpg20160828_160346.jpg Thanks everyone! I have box turtles, but never had a tortoise, so I'm familiar with chelonian care but I know a tortoise is different. Right now Bob lives outside in this outdoor enclosure. My husband is making an indoor enclosure for winter months. My dogs are always supervised around my other pets, but since they are only 3 lbs each (chihuahuas ) they show no interest in them, just snack food. Human type snack food, lol.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I can't see from your enclosure photo. Is there some soil/dirt for your tortoise to dig into? My Russian likes to scrape out a bit of space as a partial hide. Under the hosta might be a likely spot.

A very handsome tortoise!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Welcome!

I love my two male russians they are great pets and have such amazing personalities