New owner, Lots of Questions!!

leopardlover3710

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and a new owner of a baby leopard tortoise. I am currently keeping him/her in a 50 gallon storage tote with coconut coir substrate and several hiding areas on both the warm and cool side. The infrared lamp and ceramic heat emitter are hooked to a thermostat and average a basking area of about 98 degrees during the day and I drop it down to about 78-80 during the night. I also have a uvb light for the daytime. Does this sound like proper care? I've done a lot of research and many people have conflicting ideas about humidity. I currently have a water dish on the cool end and a humid hide on the warm end of the tank with sphagnum moss. I also soak the little one daily. Is this enough? I'm very paranoid about pyramiding and I want to do everything I can to keep my leopard healthy and happy. All tips are appreciated!!

Also, so far, the only things that it wants to eat are dandelion greens, clover, and plantain. I've tried orchard grass and mazuri as well, but no luck

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Do you have a hydrometer or a way to measure humidity?
It doesn't surprise me your baby has little interest in mazuri. My lil leopards aren't very interested in it either but some of my older torts do seem to enjoy it more. I feel like it's something they may aquire a taste for as they age.

I would also raise the min temp to 80 day or night.
You are on a good start with a thermostat.

leopardlover3710

I have a small thermometer/hygrometer ordered, it should be delivered either today or tomorrow. What should the humidity reading be?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I would also recommend bumping your minimum temp to over 80F, and agree with the desired humidity. You will have to keep the substrate moist, and likely have to cover the enclosure with plastic or foil to achieve 80 percent or better. Humidity is very important for smooth growth.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not count on just a humid hide for pyramiding. A closed chamber is the easiest and best way to try and grow your leopard smooth

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome, you have a better setup than most people start with. It seems the key to reducing pyramiding is high humidity. I also use coir and notice it dries out quickly, so I spray it daily and do a thorough wetting about every 3 days or so. Get your humidity gauge in and keep it as high as possible inside the tub. Your temps are good. I suggest adding spring mix, red leaf lettuce and green leaf lettuce to their diet, along with the clover and dandelions. My babies don't take to mazuri immediately, but I put wetted, crumbled pellets in with their lettuce and soon they eat it like crazy. You'll see some faster weight gains with mazuri.

Keep asking any questions you have, and post some pictures. we love pictures.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
Try running the Mazuri through a coffe grinder and sprinkle it over the food .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464228559.040501.jpg

leopardlover3710

Can a red infrared bulb be used for nighttime heating? I've read mixed comments about whether it disrupts their sleep or not

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can a red infrared bulb be used for nighttime heating? I've read mixed comments about whether it disrupts their sleep or not

It should not be used at all. Your CHE should get the job done. Add a second CHE if needed. During the day you should have a "white" light for basking.

All of this is explained in the care sheet that was linked for you.

Overall, it sounds like you are off to a good start and your baby looks great.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts need complete darkness at night. A CHE as pictured is best for supplementary heat.

The problem with red lights is also that they colour the tank decor. Red is attractive food to torts and they start trying to eat stuff they shouldn't

von345

I would raise the night time heat to at least 80 and get your humidity up to 70-80%. The higher the heat the humid you can make it ( humidity helps to make a nice smooth she'll) any temps below 80 and your running a risk for a respiratory infection