new owner help

rafsmum

Location (City and/or State)
wirral uk
Hi I have just acquired a tortoise from someone needing a home as they didn't have time for him. he has been kept in a small tortoise table for 4 years. He has a lamp on and a heat pad in his house. However i can barely feel any heat freom the pad. is this normal? Hos old owner said it is fine, hes lived in it like that for 4 years but it only just feels warm. I've struck a strip wall thermometer in and it only hits 65 degrees. (he is in our living room) Is that warm enough for him? he also seems to want to just go into his bed when in the house I was getting worried that he was not getting enough UV light so blocked the house off today to keep him out! he tried to knock it down! When we take him out he seems happy enough. he loves a fuss and we take him out twice a day and let him have a walk around our living room on a sheet which he seems to enjoy. he is eating ok. ive guven him spinach, some green lettce, pepper, cucumber and some fruits .(he has had a bit of apple, mango, pineapple and strawberry) I also gave him a tiny bit of mushroom, but his previous owner has never given him any protein apparently. he looks well and healthy ive been bathing him every other day and spraying him each day with water. I am worried about doing something wrong so any advice would be helpful, esp about his night time temp. Thanks

1289Gabe

San Diego California
Hi I have just acquired a tortoise from someone needing a home as they didn't have time for him. he has been kept in a small tortoise table for 4 years. He has a lamp on and a heat pad in his house. However i can barely feel any heat freom the pad. is this normal? Hos old owner said it is fine, hes lived in it like that for 4 years but it only just feels warm. I've struck a strip wall thermometer in and it only hits 65 degrees. (he is in our living room) Is that warm enough for him? he also seems to want to just go into his bed when in the house I was getting worried that he was not getting enough UV light so blocked the house off today to keep him out! he tried to knock it down! When we take him out he seems happy enough. he loves a fuss and we take him out twice a day and let him have a walk around our living room on a sheet which he seems to enjoy. he is eating ok. ive guven him spinach, some green lettce, pepper, cucumber and some fruits .(he has had a bit of apple, mango, pineapple and strawberry) I also gave him a tiny bit of mushroom, but his previous owner has never given him any protein apparently. he looks well and healthy ive been bathing him every other day and spraying him each day with water. I am worried about doing something wrong so any advice would be helpful, esp about his night time temp. Thanks
Could we get some pics of the enclosure? That might help. Also I’ve heard that heating pads aren’t good for tortoises

rafsmum

wirral uk

Hi thanks. It is exactly the same as this. We are going to try and extend it, as we feel it is too small, even though he has lived in it for 4 years.In the summer we are going to make an area in the garden where he can spend the day, if that would be ok for him after he has been kept in. This is him. I took him from a lady i clean for as she said he wasnt getting any attention. he has had plenty of that from us and seems to enjoy being held and fussedhttps://www.pond-planet.co.uk/reptiles-c5/vivariums-housing-c63/other-reptile-housing-c59/vivexotic-viva-tortoise-table-oak-p1060/s1664?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=vivexotic-viva-tortoise-table-oak-pt4029&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxVQweK7zHsjDi6yEYxInUOeeVFMGG9wCDQfWlJ4a76uJnJ9i1xcjGRoCtxgQAvD_BwE

Attachments

• raf13.jpg
    raf13.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 74

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Warm Welcome to you and your new friend.
glad to hear you are making an effort to get him the right care.
Redfoots come from subtropical forests, therefore they need and like a warm humid environment with lots of plant cover/filtered sunlight.
let’s talk a little about that enclosure. It’s much too small for that size tort. You need something near 4x8 feet. Preferably closed chamber to keep the heat an humidity consistent.
That substrate is also not good, it’s way to thin coverage and much to try for tortoises.
We all prefer to use coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch or a combination of those. They hold moisture/humidity nicely. You need at least 3-4inch layer of the substrate for it to work properly.
Redfoots generally do not need a lot of UV exposure so if you can get your guy out side safely a few hours a week that should be enough. They also do not need a basking light.
However they do need light to replicate day and night cycles most people are using 6000k LED for this now. They also need a consistent warm ambient temperature about 25-30C. To achieve this you use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat.
There is lots of great information on this forum.Please use the search function and you can find just about all you need.
I will also call the experts so when your are finished searching you can ask questions.
@Tom
@zovick
@ZEROPILOT

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

65 is much too cold for this species.

Heat mats should never be used for tortoises.

This guy needs a large, heated, humid, closed chamber enclosure. Read this:

rafsmum

wirral uk
Hi
Thank you for your replies
Firstly, in summer I will be making an enclosure in the garden but as temps outside are currently about 1 degrees I will not risk taking him outside in the day i am afraid

Second, i know the enclosure is a tad small. i have only had him a week and we are going to make it a bit bigger.
Third, the substrate is what his previous owner gave me, I am going to get organic top soil and some sphagum mos,s but it has been christmas hols, so figured a few extra days of a bedding he has had for 4 yrs would not harm!

I would be a tad worried about changing everythign for him when he has lived happily with his current set up for 4 years. I am going to move him upstairs to the small spare bedroom which will be warmer once we have sorted it out. he has been living in that enclosure for 4 yrs so has had that heat pad and seems happy and healthy

I have read that article before, and I am finding so many conflicting reports. Most are saying that you should not have an enclosed house for them and as he is not used to an enclosed house, it concerns me the change could harm him
Just as i have found reports saying redfoots can safely go down to 45 degrees at night and others sayign ti needs to be 80 degrees!
I was a vet nurse for 10 years in the 80s, but vets knew nothing about torties really, and nor do I. I just said i would take this one rather than it continue to not get much attention.
We do let him out every day for a wander round on a large sheet, fully supervised

he has a lamp, but i am not sure exactly what it is!! His owner didnt seem to know!
I have been spraying him, to try and make a more wet and humid environment, but i am going to struggle a bit
has he not become acclimatised to the way he lives do you not think?
Could his heat pad be damaged? It is only giving a tiny bit of warmth out

rafsmum

wirral uk
i have ordered this: i had sent for it before i read the replies. I hope this is ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CH7VZ6D/?tag=
oh and my daughter was stroking his head earlier and he was arching his head right back and his little feet were going! he looked like he was in heaven!!!!! We gave him a roam around a large tub of shallow water for half an hour too! he does seem happy. I just want to get things right, without moving too quickly from what he is used to. Apparently she had never fed him protein either, but I gave him some mushroom the other day and he enjoyed it

zovick

10 Year Member!
i have ordered this: i had sent for it before i read the replies. I hope this is ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CH7VZ6D/?tag=
oh and my daughter was stroking his head earlier and he was arching his head right back and his little feet were going! he looked like he was in heaven!!!!! We gave him a roam around a large tub of shallow water for half an hour too! he does seem happy. I just want to get things right, without moving too quickly from what he is used to. Apparently she had never fed him protein either, but I gave him some mushroom the other day and he enjoyed it
Unfortunately, you will want to return the item in the above post because it contains perlite. Perlite is known to be ingested by tortoises and causes intestinal blockages. You should get the plain coco coir you showed in posts #7 and #8 and use it instead.

rafsmum

wirral uk
Unfortunately, you will want to return the item in the above post because it contains perlite. Perlite is known to be ingested by tortoises and causes intestinal blockages. You should get the plain coco coir you showed in posts #7 and #8 and use it instead.
oh dear. I thought it was the same thing, and many people had left reviews saying it was good. I will cancel itthanbk you

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Just wait until he discovers earthworms and slugs.

If she hasn't found out already, tell your daughter butt scratches go over really well too.

rafsmum

wirral uk
i think this is the one with perlite in . maybe you got mixed up? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RP9G8FB/?tag=

rafsmum

wirral uk
Just wait until he discovers earthworms and slugs.

If she hasn't found out already, tell your daughter butt scratches go over really well too.
I will be going on a worm hunt soon! It will likely be at least 5 months before i can let him in the garden. I am thinking of planting some dandelions when i extend his home, too!

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I will be going on a worm hunt soon! It will likely be at least 5 months before i can let him in the garden. I am thinking of planting some dandelions when i extend his home, too!
He would also probably really appreciate some clover and plantain if you can work that in as well.