How do I know if my baby red foot is eating properly

Casper33

Hi I have had a red foot tortoise for 3 days and he doesn't seem to eat very well I but a lot of greens in his terrarium and then put him in front of them to see if he eats. He will take a few bites then leave he is about 6 months old I'm just worried he isn't eating enough. The people I got him from honestly should not have owner a tortoise because they just couldn't tell me anything about him they seemed to know nothing. I have done a tone of research but if anyone has any ideas please let me know or if I'm just to worried also let me know. Thanks

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Please go to these sites:
Turtletary.com Redfoots care sheet
TortoiseLibrary.com. You will get good info.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
it takes time for torts to adjust a few bites is better then no bites. it'll adjust over time.

my tort gets Ped off when i put him in a new enclosure he'll do a couple day's hunger strike but alway's starts back to his usual pig of a self eating

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Being a new owner will make ya go bonkers. To me, three days isn't a huge deal. As long as your temps and humidity are around the ideal range, just put a good "healthy" variety of food in each day. I used to buy a salad bag of endive, escarole and radicchio when I first got mine. Most of the bag would turn brown by the end of the week. Now that mine are almost 3 years old, they can go through that same bag in a day.

My only advice to help with the nerves is to record the length and weight every month. You can go with every two weeks, but never do it weekly. Weight changes so easily in such a short span that you'll scare yourself even more. Weight gain, even if it's tiny, is good. Be more concerned if there's weight loss in a month's span. I'm no expert.. just my opinion.

Casper33

Thanks for the advise guys and the web sites are very helpful. He seems to be doing a lot better with eating and coming out of his hide.