New Outdoor Enclosure

mrhoyo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Not offhand, but my rule of thumb is generally to remove any plants from my tort enclosure if I don't know what they are. Steve has a large enclosure with plenty to eat so I'd hate to take a chance by keeping a plant that ends up making him sick, or worse.

Another tip I have is to put down Popsicle stick markers in the spring when I first plant seeds or baby plants. I will forget what they are months later if they don't sprout or bloom until later in the season. The only problem I have with the sticks is that they come up from the ground in the winter because the dirt freezes. I'm getting better at identifying my plants though! :D You could also draw a "map" of your garden on paper and then divide that up into a grid. In each grid you can identify the plant(s) growing there. Unfortunately, I have removed plants I wanted to keep by accident, but it happens.

For plant identification, I sometimes use the "Ask an Expert" feature from the Michigan State University Agriculture Dept: https://ask.extension.org/ask You can submit a photo with your question. Be sure to include your location.
That's why I asked on here, I don't want him getting poisoned. They should all be from a tortoise weed mix I bought but unfortunately it didn't come with photos.

mrhoyo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
The viney one with purple flowers is crown vetch.

One of the others looks like basil.​
This is what should be in there, does that help?

1. White clover

2. Crimson Clover

3. Red Clover

4. Plantain

5. Chicory

6. Milk thistle

7. Sainfoin

8. Tufted Vetch

9. Timothy Grass

10. Dandelion