Reign Maker

Just wanted to say hello and also a BIG THANK YOU to all members for posting some great information. I am new to owning Russian Torts and this website provided me with so much info! Attached is a link (i hope) to my set up I have for El Chapo & Pablo (torts dig) ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Reign Maker

Thank you all very much... If there is anything anyone could suggest I could do better in the set-up I have please do. I had their enclosure custom built and also had them include a removable piece that goes in the middle to separate the little guys if needed. Any input would be appreciated!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I would separate them now. Pairs just don't work out, eventually one tortoise will get sick. What are the dimensions of the enclosure? I would suggest having an enclosure at least that big for each tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Glad you are aware of needing to possibly separating. However, when you will need to, cause you most likely will need to, each side is going to be too small. Russians cover a lot of ground in the wild. Most likely the enclosure is already too small for one, let alone two. Although it is very nice. Besides that, I would lower the water dishes to be level with the substrate and make them bigger so they can fit into them. They look small, but just could be the pic. F this is just their winter home and they have a larger outside area, then I wouldn't worry too much about enlarging it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to the Internet Machine location to receive solid, good, real information in regard to the care and raising of your newest buddies, Reign Maker. Here you will find information supplied by active caregivers of tortoises including russian. As has been pointed out prior, sadly, you will need to separate the pair. In what I refer to as "the real world" they don't encounter others and when they do, they see them as food competition and the trouble begins. Typically this will show up as bulling where the more dominant tort. gets the most food and the best basking spot. Or worse, outright physical fighting between the two. And of all things, you may not even see it happening. All of that said, most tortoises like/require a large amount of room as well. It's 3:00am for me and bed is calling. I'll continue this come daylight. Ask questions and remember, most information on the Internet Machine is old and outdated and the folks at PetCo or other box store types of petstores just don't know enough more than selling you stuff you likely don't need. Remember with all of this, you will be answering other's questions. Welcome home.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Welcome to the forum! :) I always recommend building an outdoor enclosure/garden with lots of delicious plants. I'm also a supporter of planting native species, many of which are often great Russian food! Let me know if you need any help with the fantastic hobby of tortoise gardening. To get you started, check out:

- The Tortoise Table, which will provide you with a guide to safe tortoise plants.

- USDA Plants Database, which will help you determine whether a plants species is native to your area.