New member with Russian question

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjsimmons

5 Year Member
Hi I've had a Horsefield for one year, he was five when I got him; I've just introduced a female... She's only a few months old. He's nipped her a few times - and then climbed onto her back. She's tiny in comparison, so that made me separate them. During the day I introduce them, his head (sort of makes a head butting movement) as he approaches her. Is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] [split] New member with Russian question

Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!!

I've moved your question to your own thread. It is Forum etiquette not to "hijack" someone else's thread with your own question. No worries...the mods will take care of you!! :p

Yes, you are seeing typical male russian activity. It almost never works to have a male/female set up in the house. You can get away with one one one if they're outside in a large habitat, but it usually never works in the house. Add to that that your female is very young, and this is a bad problem. Give her time to grow to match his size, however, you may never be able to keep them in the same habitat unless it's outside. Females are usually a bit bigger than males at breeding age.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
RE: [split] [split] New member with Russian question

Welcome to the forum!

I have a male and female and that sounds typical for what he does when they see each other. They are very aggressive so I keep them separate, as you will find almost everyone on this forum with russians will advise.

When my male sees my female he runs towards her, when hes close he starts bobbing his head and circling, then he begins biting and ramming her. He used to climb onto her and mate, but now he just chases her away with no interest in breeding.

markjsimmons

5 Year Member
Thank's everyone... Over the last few day's I've been slowly introducing them, he appears to tolerate the females more. In fact he hasn't harassed her since. I know this isn't going to last, but fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.