New member with African Spur & Russian

Mustc

Hey everyone,
Obviously I am new here. I own a African Spur Thigh (Tiny) and a Russian tortoise (Digger). Both are indoor only and hardly ever go outside and fed romaine lettuce. Neither have nipped at anyone or bite.
The Russian is pretty calm and mellow as long as there is food and light when needed. Not much of a people person and loves to hide. Approximate birth date: 3/08
The African on the other hand is hyper, but very friendly. Its always clawing at the glass cage and I think its time to upgrade on space. I feel we are slowly her growth in the 55 gallon glass enclosure, 3 sides covered. Approximate birth date: 8/10
I searched the Internet for different answers and this forum kept coming up, so I joined.

I am trying to build a wooden box for Tiny, the African. My issue I see is lining the bottom of a wooden enclosure, due to her waste and clawing issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

-tried to attach turtle pics but it didn't work, sorry-

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). May I suggest that you build them an outdoor enclosure. They will be much happier I living outside where they belong even if it's for only part of the year. As for a new indoor enclosure, please look in our enclosure section. Many people use pond lining, plastic or wood sealer for indoor enclosures. Also be sure to give both some humidity, at least in a humid hide. Also take a look in our outdoor enclosure section for some easy and some even portable outdoor enclosures.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
These two are in separate enclosures, right?
Do you have available to you weeds that are from an area free from fertilizers and poisons? Weeds such as dandelion, or plantain and other broadleaf weeds? These foods would be so much better for your 2 tortoises. Variety in food is very important for the health. This type of diet provides a larger variety of the vitamins and minerals a tortoise needs for proper health. Most grocery store greens are low in vitamins and minerals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah-h-h!! Another crisis averted! Thank goodness your searching has led to here. I'm going to speak to a few things I THINK you may be doing wrong, but its intended as helpful and with your tortoises' best interests in mind, and not as any criticism of you and your tortoise-keeping.

1. Each species needs their own habitat. Russian tortoises are generally wild caught, and gathered up by the hundreds, to be held in small containers all piled up on each other so they're in poop and pee and dead and sick tortoises. Then they're shipped to the U.S. and held in slightly better conditions by the wholesaler until the pet shop buys them. They are notoriously 'dirty', meaning full of parasites and germs. You should NEVER put a wild caught Russian tortoise with any other kind of tortoise.

2. Let's from here on in, call your African tortoise a Sulcata. The Greek species of tortoises are referred to as spur thighed tortoises and we don't want any confusion.

3. Romaine is not a good diet. There is a bit of nutrition in it, but its much better to feed more of a variety. It may be hard for you to get them switched over now because the romaine is quite palatable and they really like it - too much candy. You can pick edible weeds and grasses, leaves like mulberry, grape, etc. and add that to the dark, leafy greens from the grocery store. Things like endive, escarole, mustard, collard, etc. Variety is key.

4. Some of us paint the interior of the tort table with non-toxic enamel paint, some of us line it with plastic, a few have used linoleum or tiles. But you really don't have to worry about it because if you take the correct care of Tiny, he's going to outgrow your table and be set up outside within two or three years. The wood should hold up at least that long.

5. Some of us use tinypic.com or photobucket.com for posting pictures.

I hope I haven't turned you off from the Forum. We love getting new members and helping you set up your tortoises correctly. And I'd love to see pictures.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well both types of torts in the wild are very demanding of they're own space . So I would devide them and if the Russian tort is wild captured its a parasite factory . And both torts if they can see through it they want on ther other side of the glass ( so you may want to put something up so they cannt see the other side . Diet try spring mix . And if you they need fresh air and sun light . Good luck with your torts. And most of all hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
If the tank is glass that is a big problem, torts do not understand glass for the most part and if it looks like they have a world to explore outside if their tank they will keep walking into the glass to explore. The big down side they are like a fly with glass, keep hitting it even after they have done damage to themselves. Try to black the glass out with something like construction paper, make sure it is high enough they cannot see over it. If your Sulcata is still tiny you need to also look at making the humidity levels higher in the tank to prevent pyramiding, also diet plays a huge roll in shell health as well, and their diet is very poor right now, simple organic spring mix from the store with Mazurie and/or Grassland Tort food on the greens will go a long way in a healthy diet. Glad you joined the form, there are many members here willing to help with any and all questions you have.

Also what lights do you have and substrate in the tank.