new member with food question

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenleaann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Texas
My husband and I have a 5 year old Sulcata, he weighs 26 pounds, how much should he eat in a day? We give him handfuls of collard greens and cactus pads, probably a couple of pads a week and hibiscus flower and leaves here and there. He seems like he could just eat and eat non stop, I just want to make sure we are meeting his needs and I want to make sure he is satisfied and not feeling hungry. We are to pick up a bag of Mazuri tomorrow, and we also grow collards, sweet pea flowers, hibiscus, cabbage, kale, swiss chard among many other acceptable veggies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] new member with food question

Hi allenleanne:

It sounds like you have a pretty good diet for your sulcata. They usually come out in the a.m. and do a lot of grazing, then they go in until evening, when they come out and graze again. Its hard to know just how much to feed them, as sulcatas are pretty much little pigs.

I'd love to see a picture of your sulcata.

allenleaann

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
Torty Mom said:
:D Welcome to TFO! :D

I would double check on the sweet pea, I think they are on the toxic list.

I just checked, I'm bored :p Yes, it's on the toxic list, sorry! They are very pretty flowers and smell great!

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=main&catID=149

I meant to say Snapdragon, I read that it's acceptable, it just sprouted, and I am waiting for it to grow, hopefully its not toxic! Unfortunately, I had mis-read where morningglory was good, THEN read that it's toxic, so FEEDBACK is SO VERY helpful!!

M

Maggie Cummings

He can also eat hay. I feed mine locally grown grass hay. You'd want to avoid large amounts of alfalfa but any kind of hay is good for them. They are big eaters, I think you need to add more variety to his diet, escarole, endive, romaine, red and green leaf lettuces just for starters. Softened squash is good for a treat...different blossoms, Rose of Sharon, Roses, grape leafs, mulberry leafs....

allenleaann

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
maggie3fan said:
He can also eat hay. I feed mine locally grown grass hay. You'd want to avoid large amounts of alfalfa but any kind of hay is good for them. They are big eaters, I think you need to add more variety to his diet, escarole, endive, romaine, red and green leaf lettuces just for starters. Softened squash is good for a treat...different blossoms, Rose of Sharon, Roses, grape leafs, mulberry leafs....

We are going to the feed store tomorrow to pick up some Mazuri Food, I think we will grab a bale of hay while we are there!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.