Daily food for sulcata tortoise

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So when hatch, i believe this baby sulcata only eat indian lettuce and hibiscus, soak once / 2 days. 3 to 4 month old.
I am changing his diet and soaking. Now i make him soaks twice a day for 30min each, sometimes more than 30min. No indian lettuce anymore because i can't get it in my place.
He is gaining 5 grams for just a week with me, from 57 to 62. I believe this is water adding the weigh. Now he is with me for 3 weeks and drop to 60g.
Somethings bother me. I can't be sure what is good diet for him.
I have plant grass, hibiscus, pinto peanut, african hibiscus (rosella), grape vines, rose (currently, he havent eat this yet, still a new plant, no leaves anything come out for now), and opuntia cactus. So 7 plants.
I read he should be eat grass a lot but he just taste grass each time, eat a little of it, absolutely not enough.
He like hibiscus, pinto peanut, african hibiscus. Now i kinda block what he eat, i afraid too much of pinto peanut or hibiscus or rosella leaves is no good.
Please help me what should i do. And what is actually the good amount for him to eat. Like how many leaves a day maybe lol. I am really confuse. Oh i have mazuri "LS diet", only give him once a week and only 2 pellets, and he dont really like it, he eat it though.
Help me arrange the mix for daily food for him.
Thanks a lot.

I am sorry for my bad english, i'm in rush here. And i am not really good in english.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Go to the site linked and scroll through all the plants listed that are safe to feed and safe in moderation to feed. He should be eating a pile of food at least the size of him and then if he eats all of it, I usually feed a little more. This is what I do for my leopards.
If you need to, chop up his favorite food along with the foods he doesn't like so much, spritz with water. He has to eat the not so fave with the fave this way.
Here is the link http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Go to the site linked and scroll through all the plants listed that are safe to feed and safe in moderation to feed. He should be eating a pile of food at least the size of him and then if he eats all of it, I usually feed a little more. This is what I do for my leopards.
If you need to, chop up his favorite food along with the foods he doesn't like so much, spritz with water. He has to eat the not so fave with the fave this way.
Here is the link http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp
Yes i check it already last time. My plant is all safe. But if i chop all for him, he will only eat a little of them. If i hand feed him, he will eat a lot. I like to make him eat grass more, but he seems not really like it. He like to be hand feed.
I cannot get more plant than this anymore. I screen my surrounding and this is all i can get. Should i fight with his stubborness? He is active, now he is not afraid even a little with me anymore.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about grocery greens? Bok choy, endive, ridicchio, kale, mustard and turnip greens, dandelion. If you can get her to eat from a flat rock or piece of tile, it's much better for her, lets her learn to graze and the hard surface if God for her beak and as she learns to eat from bigger leafs and uses her feet to rip the food, it will help to keep her nails filed too. It's best for both of you to not hand feed. Make it a thing you do with treats, to hand feed, but not her daily meals.
If you chop the foods she likes along with the grass, and spritz with water, she would have to eat more of the grass as it will stick to the other stuff to cuz of the water you spritzed over all of it.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
How about grocery greens? Bok choy, endive, ridicchio, kale, mustard and turnip greens, dandelion. If you can get her to eat from a flat rock or piece of tile, it's much better for her, lets her learn to graze and the hard surface if God for her beak and as she learns to eat from bigger leafs and uses her feet to rip the food, it will help to keep her nails filed too. It's best for both of you to not hand feed. Make it a thing you do with treats, to hand feed, but not her daily meals.
If you chop the foods she likes along with the grass, and spritz with water, she would have to eat more of the grass as it will stick to the other stuff to cuz of the water you spritzed over all of it.
Ok. Point taken. I have a lot of idea now in my mind. Hopefully it works. Thanks a lot. Oh i really appreciate it!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck. Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the weight loss unless she keeps losing. They can go up and down, as long as they always go back up.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Good luck. Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the weight loss unless she keeps losing. They can go up and down, as long as they always go back up.
Yes, it is early to tell. It just feel good to have some advice from more experience people

Fredkas

5 Year Member
He should be eating a pile of food at least the size of him and then if he eats all of it, I usually feed a little more.
Hello. "Eating at least the size of him." Can i ask for a bit more specific? You mean the size of him as in dimension? So if he measures 2inch x 1.5inch x 1inch. Then he should be able to eat a food that size in one seat? A stack of grasses leaves that size with that height?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Grab a handful of greens and feed. If he eats it all give him a little more. If he leaves a lot of it, then next time give him a little less. This would be easier.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Grab a handful of greens and feed. If he eats it all give him a little more. If he leaves a lot of it, then next time give him a little less. This would be easier.
I just want to know how many amount of food others tort can eat :p. That is why i ask curiously.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. They all are different and will eat different amounts. Like my larger ones are outside all day in the summer. They can graze all day long if they want. I have no idea if they do or not, so when I put them in for the night I feed them.
My hatchling of 6 months has always been a big eater. I give her a handful of greens in the morning about the size between a golf ball and a Billards ball. At night I will feed her again either a smaller amount of greens are a piece of soaked Mazuri if she has eaten it all of the morning food. You have to judge yours by how much she eats. If she eats it all, add more. If she doesn't eat it all, feed a little less. Some days they will eat more then others.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
It's hard to say. They all are different and will eat different amounts. Like my larger ones are outside all day in the summer. They can graze all day long if they want. I have no idea if they do or not, so when I put them in for the night I feed them.
My hatchling of 6 months has always been a big eater. I give her a handful of greens in the morning about the size between a golf ball and a Billards ball. At night I will feed her again either a smaller amount of greens are a piece of soaked Mazuri if she has eaten it all of the morning food. You have to judge yours by how much she eats. If she eats it all, add more. If she doesn't eat it all, feed a little less. Some days they will eat more then others.
Ok. I get the point again. ;););););)