New Member Saying Hello

Texas Tort

5 Year Member
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ken Matthews and I am stationed at Ft Lewis, Wa with my wife Nicole.
We have no children but we do have an 11 yr old Basset Hound, Darla Jo.
We recently took in a Sulcata named Izzy from some friends who did not want him.
Izzy is about 5-8 lbs and is about a foot long. Once we took in Izzy, my wife and I began to do research online to find out all we could about him. That is how we determined he is a Sulcata.

Ken

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please be sure to not tote your dog and tort be together without 110% supervision. They just don't mix and the tortoise pays for the mistake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ken, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure you know by now that Washington isn't exactly the best geographical area to raise a sulcata tortoise. Please be sure to read all the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section.

Good luck with your new tortoise.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Ken, I see your Avatar name is "Texas Tort". By "stationed at" gives me the chance to think you'll return to Texas at some point in time?

I don't think their is a bad part of Texas for sulcatas. In the mean time, summers outside and cold weather inside will do OK. But you will be 'fighting' your current climate on behalf of your tortoise. I see Ft. Lewis is in the wetter western half of Washington at the south end of the bay. But on warm sunny days, some outside time will be good.

If you get a chance, an image is always welcome, with Darla Jo too.

Will

Texas Tort

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the kind replies! I am currently in the Army but will be transitioning back to civilian life here shortly. I realize that the Pacific Northwest weather is not the best environment for a Sulcata tortoise, my wife and I are creating an indoor enclosure for Izzy for the upcoming winter.
Hopefully, I will be moving back to Texas which should provide a climate that is suitable for Izzy.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance!

Ken