New member, new tortoise owner

JanaK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Lower Michigan
I have had my Sulcata Tortoise for three months now. I rescued her from a home in Lansing, MI and brought her to my home in Nothern Lower Michigan. She was in bad shape, soft shell top and bottom, caved in, starved. To the vet first thing. Since I have been giving her proper care she has gained some strength, put on some flesh, is eating well and her shell seems to be stiffening up, although I know we have a long way to go. Stella lives here in Michigan with me, my two pugs Bean and Bailee, Lucifer my leopard gecko and Manley my horse (he's outside of course). Stella is my first tortoise and I have done a lot of research and it can be confusing. One person says one thing, another says something opposite. Stella is very stunted. It was estimated by someone who knows tortoises that she is probably around 25 years old, wild caught and she here carapace is only 9 inches from front to back. I am looking to the day when I have a 70 pound tortoise hanging out in my kitchen. She is so very cool. Right now her inside home is a 5' hard plastic swimming pool with UV lighting, heat lamp. She always has grass hay in there and she gets her fill of dark greens, prickly pear cactus pads, etc. Her favorite treat are dandelion flowers. I take her out when the weather permits and I have an enclosure for her in the grass with a little wading pool and running water. She loves to let the water drip on her head. I am hoping by joining this form I can get ideas from other Sulcata Tortoise owners in northern states concerning winter housing ideas and such.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: There is lots of good info here and lots of helpful members. Check out the care sheets in the Sulcata section for starters. Can we see a picture of your tort and your set up? Glad you got the tort out of such a bad situation, she is lucky to have you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jana and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Sounds like the poor torts had a tough time.
Thanks for taking her on and coming here for advice.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
Pictures of the enclosure would be useful to help advise on care.

JanaK

5 Year Member
Northern Lower Michigan
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: There is lots of good info here and lots of helpful members. Check out the care sheets in the Sulcata section for starters. Can we see a picture of your tort and your set up? Glad you got the tort out of such a bad situation, she is lucky to have you!

The first photo is Stella's home inside. The second is her enjoying the running water in her outdoor pen.

Attachments

• IMG_2257.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 2015,07-18,2.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

That tortoise is not 25 years old and definitely 100% NOT wild caught. Its also to small to sex, so there is a good chance Stella is actually Steve. Sounds like you have gotten all sorts of misinformation. Glad that you found us and hope we can help.

Post a pic showing the anal scutes and tail and we can play the "guess the sex" game.

I'd also get rid of the red bulb. Those are no good for tortoises. The links that Adam posted for you should help.

JanaK

5 Year Member
Northern Lower Michigan
Hello and welcome.

That tortoise is not 25 years old and definitely 100% NOT wild caught. Its also to small to sex, so there is a good chance Stella is actually Steve. Sounds like you have gotten all sorts of misinformation. Glad that you found us and hope we can help.

Post a pic showing the anal scutes and tail and we can play the "guess the sex" game.

I'd also get rid of the red bulb. Those are no good for tortoises. The links that Adam posted for you should help.

Yes, the red lamp is history. I gathered that from what I've been reading here today. I was wondering about the wild caught thing as the girl said that immediately when she saw the tortoise. Also, how do you age a tortoise? I guess these things aren't as important as her care. I don't know if I want to find out about her sex since she has been Stella since I got her. Oh, well. Is this what you needed to see?

Attachments

• IMG_2261.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can't age a tortoise unless you know the hatch date.
They grow at extremely variable rates, even sometimes, if kept in the same conditions.
One can hazard a guess,but it's imprecise at best.
I can guess at the sex if you want to know?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and well come - glad you have rescued her. Lots of good advice and info here to point you in the right direction.
I don't see a hide in Stella's indoor home somewhere she can tuck herself in to sleep and feel secure, so you probably need to add that - with a few spider plants maybe.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Stella is lucky to have you now. Hope we can help clarify all the info for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this what you needed to see?

This tortoise is still too immature to sex, but its looking pretty male. The anal scutes look like they could move into a female shape, but that tail is already pretty long…

Can't tell for sure, but I'm leaning male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jana.