Hello :)

CristinaZappa

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor
I generally use this one. Is it no good? It was greatly recommend by the reptile store so I went with what they said.
At the back it says:

ProRep Tortoise Life BIO is a blend of professional quality loam, soft fine sand and coconut husk that provides the ideal mix of texture and moisture retention, simulating the soils found in the natural habitats of tortoises.

Building on the original, popular ProRep Tortoise Life this new substrate also includes coconut husk which allows for a lighter substrate without the mineral content. Increasing the organic material in the mix, provides peace of mind if accidentally ingested by your tortoise. ProRep Tortoise Life BIO is also suitable for many species of lizards that originate from similar habitats.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I generally use this one. Is it no good? It was greatly recommend by the reptile store so I went with what they said.
Hi Cristina.
Despite being sold widely in the UK, this particular substrate isn't recommended, as the small white particles can be ingested, and potentially cause harm/impaction. Best to use coco coir or fine grade orchid bark, both of which hold humidity well. You can pick both up on https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ for a decent price.

CristinaZappa

Windsor
Hi Cristina.
Despite being sold widely in the UK, this particular substrate isn't recommended, as the small white particles can be ingested, and potentially cause harm/impaction. Best to use coco coir or fine grade orchid bark, both of which hold humidity well. You can pick both up on https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ for a decent price.
I honestly had no idea, thank you. I'll get her some new one now.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I honestly had no idea, thank you. I'll get her some new one now.
Hello from Devon and welcome. Stella looks lovely. I'm writing just to let you know that sand isn't a good idea in a substrate, either - tortoises can ingest it stuck to their food,so do check the composition of whatever you get carefully
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello from Devon and welcome. Stella looks lovely. I'm writing just to let you know that sand isn't a good idea in a substrate, either - tortoises can ingest it stuck to their food,so do check the composition of whatever you get carefully
Angie
Right. I like how they call it "soft, fine sand" - like it's harmless and comforting like a baby blanket, while in fact, no tortoise should have sand in its enclosure as a substrate, because it's not edible and can make the tortoise sick, but they still ingest it along with whatever else they decide to eat that is there.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like a bit of coco choir mixed with repti bark which is orchid bark for my Russian. It makes a nice surface for him to walk on. I buy a natural coco choir from a garden store and the orchid bark from a pet shop near me. When it's on sale. It doesn't need changed often. And I agree with everyone else about sand. It's as nasty as tracking from a cat litter box. My little fella puts his front paw on his food to get a bite. If he's walking around with sand he will put it onto his food.🤗

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Angie
Hello again - in the middle of the night I realised I ought to warn you about moss, as well. Tortoises will eat moss in their enclosures, and it can also cause impaction - people think it might be soft and cosy in their hides, for example, but it can also cause impaction, so avoid it.
Angie