New member! Hello!

Teacup

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Just wanted to stop by and say 'hello'. :)

I am in the process of setting up an outdoor and indoor enclosure for a future tortoise. I want to have everything ready to go before I even start looking for a little shelled cutie to bring home! We are planning on a smaller species like a Russian or Greek but are wanting to adopt/rehome so we might have a bit of a wait.

My husband and I currently live in sunny GA with our small menagerie of reptiles and a very pampered retired racing greyhound. Getting a tortoise has been a dream of mine for a very long time so I am excited to think that we might be ready for one in the next few months!

This forum has been invaluable in terms of advice and sheer abundance of information. I'm happy to be here!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Welcome from Iowa!! [TURTLE]

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We are glad that you stopped and said HI. Welcome and good to have you here.

Teacup

Georgia
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

I thought I would share a quick picture of our Cagles Map turtle since I am sure tortoise fans will appreciate a cute turtle! This picture is from when we first got him 5 years ago. He was about the size of a quarter and just the cutest thing I have ever seen. He is now full grown at about 4 inches shell length and endlessly entertaining. We recently added an extra level to his tank so he can bask more securely. He grew up with 3 rescued leopard frogs who have all, sadly, passed away now. Right now, his only companions are 3 small zebra danios. I am amazed he has not eaten them but they are just too fast for him! I'll have to get pics of his enclosure sometime since my husbeast really made it look fantastic.

Nibblerwalkingweb.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

I thought I would share a quick picture of our Cagles Map turtle since I am sure tortoise fans will appreciate a cute turtle! This picture is from when we first got him 5 years ago. He was about the size of a quarter and just the cutest thing I have ever seen. He is now full grown at about 4 inches shell length and endlessly entertaining. We recently added an extra level to his tank so he can bask more securely. He grew up with 3 rescued leopard frogs who have all, sadly, passed away now. Right now, his only companions are 3 small zebra danios. I am amazed he has not eaten them but they are just too fast for him! I'll have to get pics of his enclosure sometime since my husbeast really made it look fantastic.

Nibblerwalkingweb.jpg

Thank you for sharing the "then". when you will upload the "Now"? This is a beauty for sure.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Very cute. Your upcoming tortoise is going to be lucky to have you.

Teacup

Georgia
Thank you for sharing the "then". when you will upload the "Now"? This is a beauty for sure.

Took some pics today for you! I realised that I don't have a lot of pics of Nibbler (our map turtle) because he is spooked by our camera. He seemed less nervous of my phone, though, so these pics aren't the greatest but give you an idea. :)

Here is his enclosure. The water is dark because of tannins from the wood we put in. We're going to do a big water change soon to try and clear it but the water values are all good so far.

photo1.jpg

Close up of Nibbler in the water:

photo2.jpg

One of him basking:

photo8.jpg

You can see that his shell isn't perfect, sadly. We were very careful with his feeding and supplements but he still developed pale scutes in areas. They were never soft, spongy, or brittle, and no one could ever tell us exactly what they were or how they happened. They've never bothered him and haven't worsened. We're a bit stumped but are sure to keep a close eye on them!

Hopefully, I can sneak up on him with our good camera and take some better pics soon. :)

Teacup

Georgia
Very cute. Your upcoming tortoise is going to be lucky to have you.

Thanks so much! :) I admit to being a bit anxious about bringing a tortoise home, which is why I am researching so much. My husband and I have had reptiles for many years (we recently lost our 20 year old boa that my husband got when he was a child!) but usually stick to carnivores and insectivores since we find their diets easier. I've been growing a small vegetable garden for a while now, though, so it doesn't seem quite as daunting to feed a herbivore a mixed diet. I am so excited about getting a little tort of my own!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Took some pics today for you! I realised that I don't have a lot of pics of Nibbler (our map turtle) because he is spooked by our camera. He seemed less nervous of my phone, though, so these pics aren't the greatest but give you an idea. :)

Here is his enclosure. The water is dark because of tannins from the wood we put in. We're going to do a big water change soon to try and clear it but the water values are all good so far.

photo1.jpg

Close up of Nibbler in the water:

photo2.jpg

One of him basking:

photo8.jpg

You can see that his shell isn't perfect, sadly. We were very careful with his feeding and supplements but he still developed pale scutes in areas. They were never soft, spongy, or brittle, and no one could ever tell us exactly what they were or how they happened. They've never bothered him and haven't worsened. We're a bit stumped but are sure to keep a close eye on them!

Hopefully, I can sneak up on him with our good camera and take some better pics soon. :)

Thank you for you to posting the update. Nibbled is a cute little one. I really can not tell the imperfection of his shell. I like his tank.

Thanks again for the update.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't worry too much about those spots. I'm not a water turtle person, but I've rescued a lot of RES that had strange-looking spots on the carapace. Eventually the keratin on those spots flaked off showing pretty, new shell underneath. The flaked off pieces were clear, making me think that while still on the turtle air was getting under them, causing the discoloration.

Teacup

Georgia
I wouldn't worry too much about those spots. I'm not a water turtle person, but I've rescued a lot of RES that had strange-looking spots on the carapace. Eventually the keratin on those spots flaked off showing pretty, new shell underneath. The flaked off pieces were clear, making me think that while still on the turtle air was getting under them, causing the discoloration.

Thank you, Yvonne. That sets my mind at ease!

And thanks again to everyone else for the warm welcome. :)