New member and wanting a leopard tortoise

Astrochelys-SuN

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hello

I am a new member to this forum also wanting a leopard tortoise

this is my leopard tortoise set up right now (feedback would be good xD)
20145.jpg

i've been reading about " How to Raise A Healthy Sulcata or Leopard " thread and following every steps.

-Substrate-
Im using a coco coir as a substrate, also using some sphagnum moss long fiber in the humid hide boxes.

as for the decoration im using 2x spider plants and the other all are fake.

-Heating and Lighting-
I use a 100 watt light bulb for a basking spot (i put the light fixture on the top which is not showing in this picture) also the temp was always at 100-103 directly under the bulb.
I use a Zoo med reptisun 10.0 (im not sure is this good or not, because it can cause eye problems?)
the hot size (basking) always at 100-103 and the cool size would be 85+ never below 80 ( i use a thermometer gun and thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure)

-Humidity-
Overall it would be over 60% and 80% in the humid hide boxes

-Feeding-
I just ordered some African Grazer Grass Mix from tortoise supply, Herbal Tortoise hay from tortoise supply and TNT nutrition from Carolina supply. I put a cuttle bone in the enclosure as well.

Any feedback would be appreciate

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20145.jpg
    20145.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your must be an interior decorator that enclosure is nicer then my house LOL. I don't know much about Leopard tortoise but there are some keepers on this forum that can help you with your questions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome! Lovely looking enclosure.
I have a leopard approx. 4 years old, 11 inches long and he was a rescue. He has his own adapted room as he is too big for a viv.
It's the coiled or long thin loop cfl type of bulbs that are not recommended because of reported eye damage. There are always exceptions but why take the risk and gamble with your torts health?
In addition to the caresheet the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid potential problems experienced by others.
If you need night heat many use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat which switches it on and off as needed to keep temps even. The CHE just gives heat as torts need of darkness to sleep.

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hi and welcome! Lovely looking enclosure.
I have a leopard approx. 4 years old, 11 inches long and he was a rescue. He has his own adapted room as he is too big for a viv.
It's the coiled or long thin loop cfl type of bulbs that are not recommended because of reported eye damage. There are always exceptions but why take the risk and gamble with your torts health?
In addition to the caresheet the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid potential problems experienced by others.
If you need night heat many use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat which switches it on and off as needed to keep temps even. The CHE just gives heat as torts need of darkness to sleep.
Hello and thank you for the feed back, i have a CHE but never use it yet cause it never get to cold in my house (from south florida)

Cali tortoise

Hello welcome I have a baby leopard his name is Leo I received him as a Christmas gift from my husband. I too am leaning all I can about how to raise a healthy tort. This forum is a wonderful and very helpful site. I have a set up similar to yours I ordered a zoo med beak block for my leopard. I haven't seen him use it yet but it's there just in case. I have started seeding my backyard with clover and I already have dandelions and California poppies growing wild for him. On the top of my tank I bought some reflective tape that has helped keep the humidity in. I also use moss in the tank which has helped a lot with the humidity I keep a spay bottle handy to wet the moss and my spider plant. All great ideas and help I got here on the forum. Good luck with your new leopard. I love mine he is just so darn cute!!

Astrochelys-SuN

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hello welcome I have a baby leopard his name is Leo I received him as a Christmas gift from my husband. I too am leaning all I can about how to raise a healthy tort. This forum is a wonderful and very helpful site. I have a set up similar to yours I ordered a zoo med beak block for my leopard. I haven't seen him use it yet but it's there just in case. I have started seeding my backyard with clover and I already have dandelions and California poppies growing wild for him. On the top of my tank I bought some reflective tape that has helped keep the humidity in. I also use moss in the tank which has helped a lot with the humidity I keep a spay bottle handy to wet the moss and my spider plant. All great ideas and help I got here on the forum. Good luck with your new leopard. I love mine he is just so darn cute!!
This forum is really awesome just like you said, i got all the ideas from this forum as well

I ordered seed a few days ago, i cant wait for it haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Have you checked the temperature over on the right side of the enclosure?