turtilini2021

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley, California
I live in an apartment, my daughter
gave me a baby Sulcata for my birthday in May 2021…I have purchased all the necessary lighting, hide place, he outgrew first
hide place, bought larger one…
I’m wanting to know how to feed this sweet tortoise, I love him and would like him to be healthy & happy

turtilini2021

Berkeley, California
I live in an apartment, my daughter
gave me a baby Sulcata for my birthday in May 2021…I have purchased all the necessary lighting, hide place, he outgrew first
hide place, bought larger one…
I’m wanting to know how to feed this sweet tortoise, I love him and would like him to be healthy & happy
I live in Berkeley, California

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi and welcome,
i have no experience with Sulcatas but if you post some pics one of the more experienced members will be able to help you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read these threads.
Thread 'For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thread 'The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Thread 'Ever Wonder How Fast A Sulcata Can Grow?' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ever-wonder-how-fast-a-sulcata-can-grow.150013/

An apartment will only be good for maybe a year. They grow fast and large.

LeahK

Berkeley CA
I live in Berkeley, California
Welcome! I live in Berkeley too! I got a Russian and a hermanni tortoise. This forum has been a great resource, you definitely came to the right place. There is lots of good reading from very experienced tortoise keepers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh lordy, lordy! A sulcata in an apartment!!! Good luck with that.

Welcome to the Forum! Please read the threads that Wellington linked for you. It's important to give baby sulcatas the right set up to help them grow smoothly and healthy.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yikes! Welcome to the Forum. Hope that your apartment is rather large and on the ground floor. They get very large, very fast if you provide with all the right heat, humidity, food & lighting. Soak daily. Good luck.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and good luck. Read the threads that Wellington sent you.
Your sully is going to need outside time supervised. The problem is finding grass that hasn't been fertilized or pesticides. Maybe find out from the groundskeeper where there may be a spot that doesn't get treated. I get 4 small terracotta flower pots. Plant your wheatgrass seeds in 3 or 4 day intervals. So you have new grass all the time. I just take the scissors and trim the grass on top of other food.
You should soak everyday with warm water. For 1/2 he or more and don't let the water cool down.
You will also need calcium for reptiles. A small pinch twice a week on his food.
Look for Mazuri Reptile Diet. Tortoise owners have better luck with the 5m21 type opposed the the LS type. Mazuri used to sell in 25lb bags, but I think they have started to sell in a smaller bag.
Pics of your enclosure would be great.
Here is a pic to think about. ?
Screenshot_20210901-171346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you much for info on my Sulcata….I have no yard, looks like
I may have to give him away when he gets larger…!!!!
If you do need to get rid of your sully. Post it on here. Just don't give away to anyone. Make sure they have a big yard for them and understand what it takes to care for a sulcata. Some people will take them just to resale.

turtilini2021

Berkeley, California
If you do need to get rid of your sully. Post it on here. Just don't give away to anyone. Make sure they have a big yard for them and understand what it takes to care for a sulcata. Some people will take them just to resale.
Will do, Ray…let you know first!!
Wish I had known how to take care
of my Turtilini, was a gift from my daughter, may have to buy house with a yard!!!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah the pet stores will sell to anyone and not ask what type of conditions the customer will have for the tort. It is so hard not to want to buy those cute little sullies. Not realizing how big they get and the care and money. It takes to do it right.

turtilini2021

Berkeley, California
Yeah the pet stores will sell to anyone and not ask what type of conditions the customer will have for the tort. It is so hard not to want to buy those cute little sullies. Not realizing how big they get and the care and money. It takes to do it right.
I already spent $350 on all the required lighting, substrate, hide place, water bowl etc..tortoise was purchased at Vivarium in Berkeley
Ca…the substrate is not good, was pine shavings

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok great! Some start with the coil or looped cfl bulbs. These can hurt the eyes of your tort. Now all we need is for @Tom or @KarenSoCal
to come up with a miniature sulcata tortoise species. ?

Last edited: