New Leopard Tortoise info

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
I have so many questions regarding leopard tortoises before I get one. I want to make sure I am prepared with what it will be like. And also there is so much information out there that goes against what other people say. I figure I need to solid advice. Also note that I would get them checked by an exotic vet when I get them, and also once or twice a year.

1: Can they live with or be with a bunny once in awhile? The bunny is clean and often checked for health, nothing wrong with her. I just want to be sure that if I get a tortoise, to keep them away from each other or what.
2: I live in Cleveland Ohio. The winters get cold. I keep the apartment at roughly 70-75F. I understand that for the enclosure, it would need to be hotter (please let me know the best range for the basking spot and overall). Would the tortoise be okay if I let them wander the apartment (while I am watching)? Would the temperature be okay with them?
3: What size enclosure would be best? I would be getting a 6 month old. But I build my cages. So I would want a cage that would last. Please note that if it is okay for them to be out wandering in the apartment with the temp, they would stay in the cage for roughly 19 hours. I was thinking of 4'x7'x2'. Enclosed to keep the humidity and temps.
4: Any other wisdom you care to share (I can't think of any more questions at the moment).

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, most of the info you are seeking is right here in this Care Info thread found under Tort Species

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Personally, i wouldn't let ur bunny and tort graze the same area. Your tort will seek out all the bunny balls and eat them.

Definitely not a good idea to let your tort freely roam in your house. Too many (bad) things to swallow, and surface temps are always colder.

Temperatures and enclosure size are covered in the link i noted above.

Have fun good luck.

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
Greetings, most of the info you are seeking is right here in this Care Info thread found under Tort Species

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Personally, i wouldn't let ur bunny and tort graze the same area. Your tort will seek out all the bunny balls and eat them.

Definitely not a good idea to let your tort freely roam in your house. Too many (bad) things to swallow, and surface temps are always colder.

Temperatures and enclosure size are covered in the link i noted above.

Have fun good luck.

I would be watching the tortoise the entire time they would be out and exploring. But I am more than okay with keeping them in a cage while the colder months are happening.

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
Also I am open minded to getting a different type of tortoise. I understand that each has very detailed care. I am currently looking into the Marginated Tortoise as they seem to do better in the cold than the leopard. I just feel in love with the leopard and am willing to do anything to get one.