New Leopard Tortoise Breeder

stacykoster

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga
Hi I'd like to introduce myself I'm Stacy and my two tortoises are Pebbles and BamBam. Pebbles is about 16 years old and BamBam is about 8 years. I got her when she was an infant (palm size) and found her mate BamBam about a year and a half ago. I was very fortunate that they loved each other from the very beginning and started consummating the relationship with-in the first week, he didn't waist any time. Heehee.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully you realize they should not be housed together. The male will try to breed her to illness or death. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Get a group of one male to several females or house them seperate and only put them together under supervision for breeding

stacykoster

Rancho Cucamonga
Hopefully you realize they should not be housed together. The male will try to breed her to illness or death. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Get a group of one make to several females or house them seperate and only put them together under supervision for breeding
Hopefully you realize they should not be housed together. The male will try to breed her to illness or death. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Get a group of one make to several females or house them seperate and only put them together under supervision for breeding
I did not realize that. He seems very gentle and she seems to wear the pants in the family. They sleep together quietly at night and roam all over my big backyard with a gate between them and the pool area during the day. They had babies and this is where we’re at now. Two of the five eggs have hatched. 98E8D83F-BEB7-4EB6-85FB-ED793A25393D.jpeg6D8D392D-AB99-4C8F-AEA4-0760773267AB.jpeg

stacykoster

Rancho Cucamonga
I’m wondering why the other 3 are not hatched yet??
The two little hatchlings have been in the incubator for two days knocking at their brothers and sisters shells to wake them up and saying come out and see the world.
(I hope) Is it unusual that they are not hatching at the same time?

stacykoster

Rancho Cucamonga
Hi and thank you. I have baby hatchlings two hatched out five 3 days ago so far one took his first bites of lettuce this morning. We are on day 93. The other ones Are not hatching yet? Is that unusual?

Attachments

• C55B6241-D0F0-4755-B64C-C2087C1694B7.jpeg
    C55B6241-D0F0-4755-B64C-C2087C1694B7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • D081CF5D-5ED6-4AC8-BFE8-E108CC5A5C46.jpeg
    D081CF5D-5ED6-4AC8-BFE8-E108CC5A5C46.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi and thank you. I have baby hatchlings two hatched out five 3 days ago so far one took his first bites of lettuce this morning. We are on day 93. The other ones Are not hatching yet? Is that unusual?

You've got to get them off of the incubation media and into a brooder box ASAP. And I wouldn't give hatchling lettuce. Start them on the right food NOW! ASAP! This will make is sooooooo much easier for whoever ends up with your babies to get them eating good healthy tortoise foods. Give this a read:

Leopards normally hatch at about 110 days. Leave the other eggs alone. They are right on schedule. If they do hatch, pull the babies out of the incubator the moment they step out of their egg shell, soak them, and get them into a brooder box set up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did not realize that. He seems very gentle and she seems to wear the pants in the family. They sleep together quietly at night and roam all over my big backyard with a gate between them and the pool area during the day. They had babies and this is where we’re at now. Two of the five eggs have hatched. View attachment 288096View attachment 288097
The picture of they two of them is not a friendly I want to sleep with you or they would be side by side or sleeping in their own space. Not face to face like they are. Most people don't recognize bullying. Constant following each other, laying on the food, laying at the opening of a hide, all not friendly signs. In the wild most tortoises live alone and only come together to mate or fight.
If they have a gate between them then are they housed separately?
If they have a really big yard to share you can make it better by giving a couple water dishes in different locations and same with hides and feeding stations and having sight barriers, where they can't see each other and that they can hide behind.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also if it's not linked in Tom's thread please read the closed chamber threads so you house and raise the hatchlings right