New From Indiana!

dylandrea

Location (City and/or State)
Mishawaka, Indiana
Hello! I am new to the Tortoise Forum. I am a Red Foot owner of about 1.5 years and have loved every second of it. I hope to make friends here, get help when I have questions, and even provide help if needed. I am also thinking about adopting another Red Foot or possibly a Cherry Head (I have 2 Red Foots that are about three months apart).

I am also a snake owner! Ball Python.

Thanks for checkin' me out! Heehee;)

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I’m in Indy. Western, Eastern, and Dalmatian Hermann’s as well as a rescued Russian and some Box turtles. I do love Red Foots! Such personality!

dylandrea

Mishawaka, Indiana
I’m in Indy. Western, Eastern, and Dalmatian Hermann’s as well as a rescued Russian and some Box turtles. I do love Red Foots! Such personality!

Yes for sure! I can see a very noticeable difference between my two little guys. Buddy is much more shy and likes to keep to himself, and is not huge on food. He likes hiding and being in the dark. Whereas Ellie just LOVES her munchies! Always waiting for a bite to eat. She seems to thoroughly enjoy basking under her UVB/heat lamp and not shy at all. Definitely more outgoing and more of an explorer. I love them both so much! So funny to watch them interact as well!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Dylan.
Are your torts kept separately?
There is a good caresheet available https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/
and lots of threads about the risks of keeping pairs together from people who learned from sad experience.
There is always something new to learn here so enjoy reading and researching and ask as many questions as you like someone will get back to you.

dylandrea

Mishawaka, Indiana
Hi and welcome Dylan.
Are your torts kept separately?
There is a good caresheet available https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/
and lots of threads about the risks of keeping pairs together from people who learned from sad experience.
There is always something new to learn here so enjoy reading and researching and ask as many questions as you like someone will get back to you.

Hey and thanks! My torts are kept together and have been since I purchased them. I was given a lot of advice from the breeder on how to keep them and set them up according to what she said. She never mentioned that keeping a pair together might be a problem and when I bought Ellie, the second tort, I remember researching about how they do together. But that is very interesting, and definitely something to think about. I am probably going to be purchasing two more Red Foots soon and will keep them in a group, but I will still check those threads out!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes please do find them and read them. Breeders and pet stores are not always as up to date with the information they give out or as honest as they could be when profit is concerned.
Some species may be more chilled about sharing than others but torts are solitary creatures, very territorial and do not like competition for food and space. One becomes dominant and bullying will happen in the form of following, staring, pushing ,hogging food and the best basking spot etc - sometimes mistaken for affection - but all of which can cause a great deal of stress and illness for the one on the receiving end. Eventually more aggressive barging, tipping over and biting may happen, and that could lead to serious injury or death.
If you have a massive space with plants and sight barriers where they can spread out and avoid each other you may be lucky, but in a small enclosed space bullying is likely to happen. There are many threads where keepers have admitted they have ignored the initial signs and ended up with expensive vets bills for bleeding shells or other injury and wished they had heeded the warnings and given their torts a better life. Even a male and female are not recommended together because the male will eventually harass the female to mate. Groups seem to work ok with the right gender mix and large enclosures - the more torts you have the bigger the space they need.