new indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I found a pic in the reptiles magazine that I liked. I made a few changes to the plan and the pic as I only did three boxes, and I made mine larger, plus I didn't have a router to do the boxes with so I nailed on the bottoms of the boxes. (Actually I should say hubby did, he built it and I will stain it.)

Anyways it is all done except for the stain...

The first of three boxes.. I used 1"x 12" sides and 3/4" plywood for bottom.

023.jpg

Next the supports to hold up the three boxes... I used 4x4's and notched out 12" x 3/4" every 12" if that makes sense??

028.jpg

Then we put the three boxes on one side of supports...

030.jpg

032.jpg

Then the other side supports and we screwed the boxes to the supports and it is built.

035.jpg

037.jpg

All that is left now is the stain, I used water based....

025.jpg

EJ if you used something different for stain will you let me know.. I chose water based polyurathane because it has less odor.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
great job!!!!!
i saw that article in Reptiles

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks wayne.bob, I saw it and I knew that is what I wanted.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
wow those look great!
i've been wondering about Low/No VOC stains, did you see those available at all?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Looks great so far! Can't wait to see how you finish everything.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
The water based Polly should work just fine...

That came out really nice.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks great Jen, Dan and I have discussed building some like those but since we do not own the house we are in currently we decided to wait until we do own a place. My stock tanks and frames for them are a little easier to move. :) I sent Ed the link so he could appreciate his inspiration. :D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
josh said:
wow those look great!
i've been wondering about Low/No VOC stains, did you see those available at all?

I didn't see any and the person was not as helpful as previous paint people, but I followed Ed's plan and what he said he used and found the low odor poly. I am going to start staining and then just keep applying the poly and then air dry for a while outside to make sure any odor is gone.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks everybody for the nice comments as soon as I finish the stain and setup the enclosures I will post pics.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
im sure that low odor stuff will work great. i was just curious about whats out in the market because ive been reading about how we should all start using no VOC stuff but i havent even SEEN any yet! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like you and hubby made a great team! I love it when working with the torts brings couples and families into it jointly. It's one of those added bonus things you never really expected when you first begin with torts. It really looks nice.

So have you decided who gets the penthouse? who is in the basement?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah..We work well together when building things for the torts, he still doesn't like them though! Oh well they are here to stay. He is already planning our next project for this weekend. Gotta get them all done before summer hits. Hmmm Penthouse is probably going to stay empty for right now, basement will b the larger sulcata baby, and the mid section will be the smaller sulcata. The russians and boxies will keep there current digs since they will be going back outside in a few weeks. LOL

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A built in desk to match the new enclosure, moving the 125 gal tank into the office, add plants to the outdoor enclosure, and build me a cabinet to keep my tort stuff in. And if we have enough time go to the zoo. So we will see how much really gets done. :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Jen,
I love that you can put three pens in the footprint of one. I have three swimming pools in our dining room and they aren't all that eye appealing. I will be curious as to how the lights etc attach.so make sure we get those pics!!! Great to have a hubby that puts up with us eh?? What are the dimensions? and these are for ornates and russians right? Now will you line them also?
Na

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nay said:
Hi Jen,
I love that you can put three pens in the footprint of one. I have three swimming pools in our dining room and they aren't all that eye appealing. I will be curious as to how the lights etc attach.so make sure we get those pics!!! Great to have a hubby that puts up with us eh?? What are the dimensions? and these are for ornates and russians right? Now will you line them also?
Na

The lights will attach to the end of the boxes, Hubby only did it to get rid of the tubs,:p Each box is 5' L 2' W 1' H, Anybody that has to be inside will be in this boxies, russians, sulcatas, I put a lot of polyurathane on them, but I decided to put vinyl flooring on the bottom of the boxes so it is easier to clean. Whats going on with your russian pair?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Did you notice the pictures of my new enclosures... the lights are hung from the enclosure above with J hooks. Then just use a clamp light for the top enclosure.

jenrell23 said:
Nay said:
Hi Jen,
Na

The lights will attach to the end of the boxes, Hubby only did it to get rid of the tubs,:p Each box is 5' L 2' W 1' H, Anybody that has to be inside will be in this boxies, russians, sulcatas, I put a lot of polyurathane on them, but I decided to put vinyl flooring on the bottom of the boxes so it is easier to clean. Whats going on with your russian pair?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
-EJ said:
Did you notice the pictures of my new enclosures... the lights are hung from the enclosure above with J hooks. Then just use a clamp light for the top enclosure.

I didn't notice your pics of your new enclosures. They only pics I saw were in the reptiles mag. Duh just looked at the mag again and saw you hung them inside. so J hooks? where did you put the hooks? In the bottom of the box or on the 4x4's?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Those are the new ones. The picture I used to send out used clip lights as you seen in the plan.

The bottom is 3/4 inch wood and is way stronger than it needs to be. I secured the cable with cable hooks. These are the plastic or metal clamps that are used to secure the cable that is run for your cable tv. It makes everything look neat and secure.

Ed

jenrell23 said:
-EJ said:

I didn't notice your pics of your new enclosures. They only pics I saw were in the reptiles mag. Duh just looked at the mag again and saw you hung them inside. so J hooks? where did you put the hooks? In the bottom of the box or on the 4x4's?

Status
Not open for further replies.