New Hingeback owner - Need advise .Please help!

16rash

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
What are your temperatures?
Have you tried slugs yet?
hi Anyfoot - Temperature is constantly maintained between 73-76F.humidity at one end of the enclosure is 95% and other end is 78%.
Should i add a heat source?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
hi Anyfoot - Temperature is constantly maintained between 73-76F.humidity at one end of the enclosure is 95% and other end is 78%.
Should i add a heat source?
I should provide an area in the low 80's so he can regulate his temps mine all seem to prefer it in the mid 70's, I turn all heat off at night. Providing a warmer area that he can choose to go in at his own will can't do any harm.
Are you spraying him, they love it wet, rain runs off the front of there carapace onto the neck, this is one way they drink in the wild. I've literally seen mine swallowing water that is absorbed through the neck.

The only way you can keep this species is if you can sort out a long term plan for a supply of worms/slugs etc.

Does he have places to hide?

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Okay, so i have ordered a new 100 W CHE to add a new heat source . he does have a hide but only at one corner.

As you advised earlier, i am raising earthworms indoors and can get mealworms from the pet store but getting slugs/snails is really hard :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Okay, so i have ordered a new 100 W CHE to add a new heat source . he does have a hide but only at one corner.

As you advised earlier, i am raising earthworms indoors and can get mealworms from the pet store but getting slugs/snails is really hard :(
Sometimes I put a few pieces of catfood out on the garden path, it attracts slugs and snails. Also when our apple tree drops apples I leave some on the grass, they attract slugs and snails from every direction.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Sometimes I put a few pieces of catfood out on the garden path, it attracts slugs and snails. Also when our apple tree drops apples I leave some on the grass, they attract slugs and snails from every direction.

cool, let me try this idea as well . i am also think of ordering snails egg online and will try to raise them in a tub. have some one tried this before?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
cool, let me try this idea as well . i am also think of ordering snails egg online and will try to raise them in a tub. have some one tried this before?
I've not kept garden snails, but we used to have giant African snails, it got out of hand with the babies, hundreds. If the principal is the same, use a plastic tank, 3" of damp soil, feed cuttlebone,greens and fruit and keep em moist, make sure you put the tank somewhere where it's not to bright.
They will dig in the soil to lay eggs.
I may have a go at this myself to see if its successful.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
I've not kept garden snails, but we used to have giant African snails, it got out of hand with the babies, hundreds. If the principal is the same, use a plastic tank, 3" of damp soil, feed cuttlebone,greens and fruit and keep em moist, make sure you put the tank somewhere where it's not to bright.
They will dig in the soil to lay eggs.
I may have a go at this myself to see if its successful.

Thanks Anyfoot and all the members of this forum !

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - After a long wait of 35 days, Zura has finally eaten 5 earthworms(10 minutes ago). i am sooooo happy now.
next mission is to make him eat greens :)

Thank you all for providing such wonderful ideas and suggestions:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks Anyfoot and all the members of this forum !

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - After a long wait of 35 days, Zura has finally eaten 5 earthworms(10 minutes ago). i am sooooo happy now.
next mission is to make him eat greens :)

Thank you all for providing such wonderful ideas and suggestions:)
Cool, let us know how you go on with the greens.