New Hingeback Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
After a walk through a local animal store, I can across a hingeback. He/she is being kept in a 10 gallon tank, dry substrate, no hides, very tiny water dish. No idea of the subspecies. Will try to get photos if I can manage to locate the camera charger.

I am thinking of bringing it home.

Have read through most of the posts on here to get some background on them. I know they need high humidity, lots of hides/foilage and a large water dish. I also see they eat worms and mushrooms.

The tort was active and alert when I saw it. I will be going back for a more detailed inspection tomorrow. Assuming he feels heavy and has no obvious issues I ill most likely be adding to the tort collection.

Question is:

1. Lighting - I read they do not like bright light. What light do you use/suggest
2. Food - Where can I get a list of safe foods.

Thank you for your help. And please if you have any advice or tips, I would love to hear it!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I'm not sure about the hinge back species although I was kind of curious about them when I saw 1 in a pet shop for 50 bucks and it looked to be 5 inches long so they must be cheap but I never hear about them. I did not know they needed protein though I thought they would be like a regular African tortoise. And lastly if that tort is in a 10 gallon tank then you should get it out of there. Oh and I'm also wondering how big they get, and how big is the 1 you saw.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
More then likely your looking at a Homes. It is important to know what type your looking at, because they do have a slightly different care for each one.

The Homes will indeed need a high humidity level. Care is actually a lot like a Redfoots. They usually do well with just the ambient lighting in your house. They really do need to have a hide or two and lots of room.

The most commonly liked foods seem to be the mushrooms, cantaloupes, papaya, and cooked sweet potato. Try not to get them started on bananas, as they turn into addicts on them. Generally think fruits, especially ones that are very ripe. Try to also add in some greens, which you may have to hide in the fruit.

The two most important things I think is to get the animal hydrated and then to get it feeding. You cross those two hurdles and your pretty much set.

Once you get him, try to keep things quiet around him, until he settles in. They can stress out easily. Once they decide your okay, they get over their shyness (usually) and become wonderful beggars.

Helps to have the food dish near to the hide, atleast until he is eating well.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Good luck with the tortoise if you buy it.
It sounds like he is in need of the TLC.
Love to see pics if you bring it home?

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
OK got everything shifted around so I will have room for him! He will be in a 75 gallon aquarium. I have a large water dish, some fake plants for cover, and a large hide. There is about 5" of very moist substrate. I am at 80% humidity and 74 degrees.

How about UVA/UVB requirements. I assume since they are forest dwelling they require lower levels?

Planning on cleaning tonight, hope I find the camera charger and I will post pics tomorrow! If not I will use the camcorder and do Utube.

Very excited!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, they are of a lower light need. Often you can get by with just the amount of light that is in your home. Or get a strip light as you would use in the kitchen.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yes I got him! Actually it may be a her. Will come out of the hide and look around but that is about it. Has not eaten yet :( Pretty much leaving it alone until he starts eating and I know its doing well. Then I will definately post pictures!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds fairly normal. Looking forward to seeing pictures and welcome to the wacky world of hingebacks! :D

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yay, he is eating some banana!! I covered the tank to raise the temps a little and he is moving around more. He is spending time in his water dish now. This morning when I changed the food, he didn't pull his head back in. Progress! I did a quick weigh and measure yesterday 591g and just over 6".

The way things are going I should be able to get photos this weekend! I would take them now but if I touch him he just pulls in his shell and hides.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
herpgirl24 said:
Yay, he is eating some banana!! I covered the tank to raise the temps a little and he is moving around more. He is spending time in his water dish now. This morning when I changed the food, he didn't pull his head back in. Progress! I did a quick weigh and measure yesterday 591g and just over 6".

The way things are going I should be able to get photos this weekend! I would take them now but if I touch him he just pulls in his shell and hides.

Hi
So glad you got him or her?
I'm sure your tortoise will have a much better home now-can't wait to see photos when you get chance to take some.

Louise

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Today I decided it was time to change the water out and when I picked him/her up, she didn't completely hide in the shell! Yay! Got a chance to snap a few quick pics while I was washing her off. Apparently once a worm dies in the water dish and it gets smelly, that's when she wants to soak in it :(

Still hasn't ate more than a few bites of banana. Heading to the grocery store tomorrow and hopefully they will have some overripe fruit!

10-9-11113.jpg

10-9-11121.jpg

10-9-11117.jpg

10-9-11118.jpg

10-9-11120.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She looks nice. What have you tried on her so far?

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Banana is all she has been interested in.

I have offered night crawlers, mushrooms (whole and sliced), and grapes today. Hopefully I can find some good ripe fruit at the grocer tomorrow! I will also be checking the farmer market!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Try figs, watermelon, and red colored greens like red leaf lettuce, etc. Grated sweet potato (I use a cheese grater) and anything overripe and strong smelling. I usually buy the fruits that the grocery store has on clearance because they are right on the verge of going bad. They like those best.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
herpgirl24 said:
Banana is all she has been interested in.

I have offered night crawlers, mushrooms (whole and sliced), and grapes today. Hopefully I can find some good ripe fruit at the grocer tomorrow! I will also be checking the farmer market!

Mine seem to like best the papaya, muskmelon, and boiled sweet potato, too. It took awhile for some of them to like the mushrooms, but now they really love them.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Mine like the red fruits too like Kristina mentioned-watermelon, strawberry, tomato.
Also love earthworms, super worms, mushrooms.
Lovely looking tortoise-good look on the eating

Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.