need advice what to feed my picky home's hingeback

natik

Hi, I'm a new owner of home's hingeback. Got him a little over a week ago from the rescue. He doesn't seem to eat much. I was trying to feed him different greens and weeds including collard, spring mix, fresh moringa leafs, hibiscus leafs and flowers..., but he totally ignores those as well as mushrooms. The only things he eats are steamed sweet potato, bananas and dragon fruit. He only eats about 1 inch cube of those fruits a day. I also give him 1 grub a day, he will eat it only if it's dead, he ignores life ones and they bury back into the soil. Is it normal?
I was hoping that once I put him in the outdoor enclosure, he will start eating better and munch on some of the edible plants I planted for him, but he totally ignores those as well. He has already being in the enclosure (4'X12') for 6 days. All he does is just pacing around the perimeter, and I haven't even seen him sitting in the water dish, though I can tell he was there at some point because it has some mulch and dirt in it.
Should I be worried? Some people say that they are shy and it takes time for them to adjust, but at least he has to eat.
What should I give him? Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Try mushrooms and over ripe fruit.

natik

is it healthy for him to eat fruits only? I read that it's bad for his kidneys.
I was giving him portabella mushrooms, he doesn't eat.

turtlemanfla88

I always try everything to get them to start eating. try pappyas,figs, cactus. I was given some once who did not eat for at least a month then one day I was feeding my water turtles and threw some aqua-max with the hingeback and it started to eat. Then I would soak the aqua-max and mix with fruits and veggies as time went on I mix less aqua-max and more veggies.Some people out there are closed mined when it comes to feeding and will only feed what they think the animal should eat then the animal dies because of their pride. I always try to do whatever it take to save the animals.

natik

I always try everything to get them to start eating. try pappyas,figs, cactus. I was given some once who did not eat for at least a month then one day I was feeding my water turtles and threw some aqua-max with the hingeback and it started to eat. Then I would soak the aqua-max and mix with fruits and veggies as time went on I mix less aqua-max and more veggies.Some people out there are closed mined when it comes to feeding and will only feed what they think the animal should eat then the animal dies because of their pride. I always try to do whatever it take to save the animals.

Thanks. I was just worried that he doesn't want to eat leafs and veggies, it sounded like it's not healthy. But I read some forum here and sounds like as long as they eat, it's OK. So I'll be trying to give him a variety, but will primarily be feeding the stuff he eats.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Homeana can be tough. But fruits are ok for these guys, they will take a while to get eating greens, try oyster mushrooms, papaya, mango, and earth worms.

natik

Homeana can be tough. But fruits are ok for these guys, they will take a while to get eating greens, try oyster mushrooms, papaya, mango, and earth worms.

For now mine eats dragon fruit, banana, boiled sweet potato, water melon. I don't have earthworms (will take forever to find one), but I have full compost bin of maggots. According to the internet, they are very high on calcium, so I feed about 10 a day. The problem is I have to kill them first:eek:, I hate that part.
I worried that he doesn't eat much, but he gained about 0.2 oz within the last 4 days, so, I guess, he is doing OK for now.
I also don't see him pacing at all lately. He is hiding all day, but the food I am giving him is always partially eaten, so I'm find with that. Not too much of interactions though:confused:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For now mine eats dragon fruit, banana, boiled sweet potato, water melon. I don't have earthworms (will take forever to find one), but I have full compost bin of maggots. According to the internet, they are very high on calcium, so I feed about 10 a day. The problem is I have to kill them first:eek:, I hate that part.
I worried that he doesn't eat much, but he gained about 0.2 oz within the last 4 days, so, I guess, he is doing OK for now.
I also don't see him pacing at all lately. He is hiding all day, but the food I am giving him is always partially eaten, so I'm find with that. Not too much of interactions though:confused:
Good thing he is eating those at least. Those are fine, they can take quite a while to adjust and eat greens. My erosa will eat greens no problem, but homes won't really. They just nibble on everything. Maggots should be fine, he will come around

natik

Good thing he is eating those at least. Those are fine, they can take quite a while to adjust and eat greens. My erosa will eat greens no problem, but homes won't really. They just nibble on everything. Maggots should be fine, he will come around
Do you kill the earthworms before giving to them? Will they ever eat in your presence?

natik

Thanks. I'm looking forward for him to become brave enough to eat worms during the feeding time so that they will not bury themselves before he eats it;)