Hermanns Pacing...is this stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
Eloise seems to be doing really well, eating a bit, pooping a lot and active.....but she seems to be pacing around the perimeter of her enclosure a lot and trying to climb out? I have never had a tortoise before so don't know if this is stressful for her or just what they do? I do have her in a glass tank, but honestly, lol, my kids have drawn pictures that are taped all over the outside so that she can't see through the glass on the back and sides. The front is open and she does not try to get through it? We did this per the recommendation that if a tortoise can see through the glass they will think they can go through it....well Smarty Pants Eloise seems to think she can still crawl up and over it! I am just wondering if I should be worried about her being stressed....I have also found her on her back from doing this twice, which set me into total panic mode. I think that I am more anxious as a tortoise mama than I ever was as a human mama! I just don't have any natural instincts to go off of!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Missniecie said:
Eloise seems to be doing really well, eating a bit, pooping a lot and active.....but she seems to be pacing around the perimeter of her enclosure a lot and trying to climb out? I have never had a tortoise before so don't know if this is stressful for her or just what they do? I do have her in a glass tank, but honestly, lol, my kids have drawn pictures that are taped all over the outside so that she can't see through the glass on the back and sides. The front is open and she does not try to get through it? We did this per the recommendation that if a tortoise can see through the glass they will think they can go through it....well Smarty Pants Eloise seems to think she can still crawl up and over it! I am just wondering if I should be worried about her being stressed....I have also found her on her back from doing this twice, which set me into total panic mode. I think that I am more anxious as a tortoise mama than I ever was as a human mama! I just don't have any natural instincts to go off of!

I have a young Hermann who does the same exact thing!! He/she is in a semi-clear enclosure, but I have likewise covered the sides. I'm sorry, I don't have an answer, but I am in the same boat and am curious as to what people will say!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally speaking, Hermann's are pretty active tortoises, pacing back and forth or around the perimeter of their enclosure is not uncommon. My indoor enclosures for the baby tortoises are wood on three sides, glass in the front. Years ago I painted the first 3-4" of glass on all of them in order to reduce the amount of pacing. It has cut down on it somewhat, but not completely. I also believe that they probably don't grasp the concept of glass. Seeing the other side but not being able to get to it. Much of the pacing can probably be attributed to their very high activity level.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
Its funny you say that....i decided she was a she and named her Eloise but I kep referring to her as a he!

Status
Not open for further replies.