New Hermanns Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4Nancy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
2013-10-05 10.45.13.jpg2013-10-04 11.46.20.jpg2013-10-03 16.58.37.jpgHello There.
My name is Nancy and I live in south Florida. I have a brand new baby Hermanns, he(?) is barely an inch from head to tail. He lives in a tortoise box with a cold hide and a hide right under the heat lamp. He has a heat lamp and a UVB bulb. The UVB stays on as long as the sun is up but I keep the heat lamp on for about 15 hours a day, only turning it off after he is buried and asleep. Right now he wakes up around eight and sits under his heat lamp for awhile before heading over to the live weeds (clover, butter lettuce, dandelion) that I have in his enclosure. He grazes on those for awhile and then we have mandatory soak time. (He really does not like this!!) So far I have not seen any evidence of pee or poop but he is still eating pretty normally (less and less each day though). He wanders around the box getting lots of exercise until about 2pm then he enters his hide or buries himself and stays asleep until the next day. I have taken him outside in good weather a couple times to free roam but under constant supervision and he eats the clover. Substrate in his box is a mix of organic soil and cypress mulch. I will attach pictures! So far, he has no name, but we are working on a good one! Any suggestions as to care?

Last edited by a moderator:

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
welcome to this wealth of knowledge we oh-so-modestly call the tortoise forum.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nancy.

Status