New here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane Sarvela

5 Year Member
Hi, today I adopted a large Spur Thigh African Tortoise for a classroom where it spent the last 4 years wandering with kids. He's a sweetheart. I also have a small Russian tortoise and was wondering if they could hang out together in the back yard? Will Buddy hurt my small Ivan do you think? Also he seems to be making sounds? I think he is letting me know he wants out :) any help would be great. Thanks much!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Glad your here. As to if the two should be out together, they could give each other germs and parasites that could be dangerous to each other. The worse part is a large sulcata, can do a lot of damage to another smaller tortoise. So no, I would not advise putting them together. If your going to do so, atleast first isolate the new one for atleast a one month quarantine first.

Diane Sarvela

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! I think it is best to just keep them apart. Ivan my Russian has his own summer home we built in the back yard. So we will keep him in there. Now we need to built Buddy a large home for himself. He is large enough to just roam but I caught him eating little rocks out of the flower bed. How good could rocks be? lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Diane. Just a word of advice, we normally refer to your type tortoise as "sulcata," because there is a Greek tortoise that is usually called a spur thigh. We don't want anyone to be confused. The sulcata is actually called an African spurred tortoise, not a spur thigh. At any rate, he's lucky you've adopted him and will give him a life outside, where he belongs.

Diane Sarvela

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Diane. Just a word of advice, we normally refer to your type tortoise as "sulcata," because there is a Greek tortoise that is usually called a spur thigh. We don't want anyone to be confused. The sulcata is actually called an African spurred tortoise, not a spur thigh. At any rate, he's lucky you've adopted him and will give him a life outside, where he belongs.

Good to know! Thank you!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Diane Sarvela said:
How good could rocks be? lol

Over all one or two will not likely hurt him, BUT (isn't there always a but?) too many or too large of rocks, if ingested can cause blockages and even death, so we advise not allowing them to get rocks if possible.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new kid. My Sulcata Cooper went on this spell of trying to eat rocks for awhile. So everytime we were outside I didnt leave his side and if I saw him go after 1 I would touch his nose and he would stop of course. Now, he just seems to not even notice them anymore! Had me worried for awhile though...

Diane Sarvela

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new kid. My Sulcata Cooper went on this spell of trying to eat rocks for awhile. So everytime we were outside I didnt leave his side and if I saw him go after 1 I would touch his nose and he would stop of course. Now, he just seems to not even notice them anymore! Had me worried for awhile though...

I think I will fence the flower beds so he can not get in them. There is certainly plenty of good stuff to eat in my yard that he does not need rocks. They were tiny pebbles but still not happening :) he's such a big boy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.