New here need help with baby red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tort guy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone

I am not a stranger to torts I have a Russian and I have done a ton of research, however this does not make me an expert by any means. I recently got a baby red foot from the pet store I work at. The only issue that I am having is that he sleeps a lot and has only eaten a very small amount once since Saturday. When I say baby he is about the size of 2 quarters. If you need any more info just let me know. Any guidance is appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tort guy and welcome to the Forum!

There's some very good redfoot reading material stored in the Tortoise Library

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Pics of your setup and temps. Also humidity. Would be helpful so that red foot owners can help you...

tort guy

5 Year Member
Hi

Right now he is in a Rubbermaid bin with Eco earth on the bottom and moss covering that to hold humidity. He has a heat light which keeps his temp at between 80 and 86. His humidity is at 90 after I most him in the am. It goes down to 60 before I mist him again.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I don't know much of anything about redfoots other than they really need humidity, and I think you'll have a much easier time keeping it warm and humid with a closed chamber style enclosure. Wait for others to chime in though :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to the forum. Are you able to post pictures? When you send a new reply, next to the send button, is a button with a “+" on it. Clicking this gives you options for inserting photos. Again, welcome. You might also post in the specie specific section for more help.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
tort guy said:
Hi everyone

I am not a stranger to torts I have a Russian and I have done a ton of research, however this does not make me an expert by any means. I recently got a baby red foot from the pet store I work at. The only issue that I am having is that he sleeps a lot and has only eaten a very small amount once since Saturday. When I say baby he is about the size of 2 quarters. If you need any more info just let me know. Any guidance is appreciated

Hopefully Tortadise will see this and answer any questions you have, he has helped me a lot with my Redfoot!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I would suggest a different setup, as you need more then just a heat light, and also a more constant humidity of 85-90%. A UV light at one end of the cage and a heat light keeping the temps throughout the cage at 80-82 with a basking spot of 90-95 right under it is perfect. Vision cages (the kind for snakes) work wonderfully; that or a long tub/tank covered with plexiglass.
What are you feeding? Are you soaking daily?

tort guy

5 Year Member
image-3311834001.png

Here is a pic of his bin. I am soaking daily. He is eating now just small amounts. He poops when I soak him and it looks kind of off. It looks like a cabbage roll for lack of better terms. I will probably take him to the vet next week as I think there might be parasites involved. We don't have a herp vet but our vet is good at doing worm and parasite checks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Maybe you can drop off a fresh fecal sample before your visit. This will enable your vet to do those tests ahead of time.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Agree that your set up needs adapting or changing his enclosure. My red foot took about a month of settling in before he came to life! I bought him for being so active at the shop but soon as I got him home he was like a recluse! Now he is a happy chappy and is in his own routine!:)

tort guy

5 Year Member
I am soaking him daily. He still doesn't eat much and I have yet to get a useable sample out of him. I know his bin is not perfect but all his needs are met and we are moving In a month so that is why he is where he is for the moment

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think you should up the temp. a little bit and seal off the top of the enclosure a bit more. That heat is rising up and out, If he is that small he needs to be kept warm and humid. If the cage is kept on the floor it is cooler and more drafty on the floor. Try a bunch of different kinds of food, greens and hibiscus flowers

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What are your lights? Yours seems a little too close. Yeah enclose the top like bigred said.

tort guy

5 Year Member
I will cover the top more. He is not on the floor in a warm room. I will try to up the temp more. I am using a reptiglow 5.0 for his uv

Status
Not open for further replies.