NEW & hatchling rubbing eyes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone my name is Kate and I am new to this forum :) I just recently (3 days ago) purchased a hatchling (2 1/2in) red footed tortoise named Herbert.

His current living situation is:

40 Gallon Breeder Tank (exoterra with open front doors)
Bed a Beast substrate
UVB reptisun 10.0 full length of enclosure
92 degree basking spot
2 hides
ceramic water dish 8x8in

I also mist his enclosure 3x a day and give him a bath once a day.
He is eating dandelion greens/turnip greens mostly and some fruits and veggies every 3 days or so......

OKAY so ever since I got him he is somewhat scratching his eyes. when I look at his eyes they appear clear and not funky looking...... I am just curious if this is typical hatchling behavior.... He does it a lot when he eats as well almost looks like he does it to get larger chunks of food out of his mouth..... He also loves to burrow so i could imagine he may be getting some substrate in his eyes..... im just scared if he keeps doing it too much he'll make himself go blind! lol

Should I worry now or when his eyes start looking irritated????
or is this normal behavior overall....???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The substrate might be too dry.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
What is 'Bedabeast' substrate?
Just curious.

Ann from CT

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Red foots do better with a che for heat and a low light tube uvb lamp . Plants and humidity for these guys .
Look at turtle Terry. Com and try to follow his care tips for babies . Remember not every thing will be the same you have to adjust somethings to wear you live .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

TJ1999

5 Year Member
My tort sounds pretty similar to yours and mine is doing it too, he runs his eyes both indoors and outdoors, also while in the shade...

Rubs*

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
okay so I changed his 75 watt to a 25 watt which makes it about 85 basking and cooler side 78 and it also is a lot dimmer. I also had another light bulb for extra light which I turned off so now its just the 25 watt and the uvb tube which now its not too bright. I also sprayed and sprayed and sprayed the bedding which sorry its not bed a beast its plantation soil aka coco coir made by exoterra..... thanks for the suggestions :) i hope this makes Herbert happier.

I also just planted some clover, dandelion, and turnip green seeds in his tank so he can learn to graze :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 10.0 might still be too much.

I like to hand pack the coir to keep it less messy.

What sort of UV light was he under at the breeders or sellers place?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Make sure it is moist enough and put a couple leafy plants in there. Maybe a hosta corm and a Christmas cactus. Something to filter the light that is okay if eaten. Then Herbert can duck in and out of shade as he sees fit.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Im not sure I got him from exotic pets las vegas. I think an exoterra sunglo is what they had. The bulb I'm using is an exoterra intense basking spot 25 watt. It sounds intense but it really isn't very bright. either is the uvb.... can someone post a picture of how dim the lights have to be and how shady they have there enclosure :) so i can have a better idea....

Thanks guys for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.