Redfoot Hatchling has visible white around eyes?

Anne Cho

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hi, I recently acquired a Redfoot Hatchling. He/she is almost 3 inches and I've noticed that the eyes are slightly different from the eyes of other Redfoots I've seen throughout my research of this species. Most, have all-black eyes, with very little whites showing. Like the one in the first picture I have attached. I've since learned that the white portion of the eye is called the "sclera". Well my Redfoot hatchling (in the second pic) has very noticeable scleras. He looks very wide-eyed and very intense/concentrated all the time ahaha. I just wanted to know if this was a normal/based on genetics thing. Thank you!picture.jpeg my redfoot.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A while ago someone asked the same thing about their RF. I don't remember the out come. I think it's normal but @allegraf can confirm.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Totally normal. Not necessarily a common thing but not rare either. Simply beautiful. Love the contrast.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you have him watching too much TV??? LOL!!

Glad it is normal. It's really funny and cute looking!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort! :<3: Take good care of him/her, and read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. Give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.:D

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Ruby has the super intense signature "stink eye" - I think it makes her look a little more expressive!

p1832120871-4.jpg