Eyes won't open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Ok, so now my young redfoot can't open his eyes. It started slow, where he appeared to just struggle opening his eyes when he was dry but would open them when they got wet. So I increased the misting frequency and now he can't open them at all. I just soaked him for 15 minutes with no results. On top of this he has stopped eating, probably because he can't see the food, and is getting sluggish.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Time to see the vet. He sounds like he needs something that you can't provide for him. I wouldn't wait. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its time for you to re-read the care sheets then go over your husbandry practices with fresh eyes. This doesn't happen for no reason, and the reason is usually husbandry.

In the meantime, warm him up. Have the WHOLE habitat at least 80 degrees, but even 85 might be good. And be sure its very moist in there.

13Fox150

5 Year Member
Update

Just a little update. Humidity was the problem. I removed the "repti-bark" and replaced it with "eco-earth" from zoo med. It's much messier but retains humidity great so:D. I also changed his hide from a few pieces of driftwood (which looked great but probably left a little to be desired on the tortoises side) to the half log style. Then layered the inside of his hide with shredded coconut husk.

I am happy to report that his eyes are big and black and that he is eating more than ever. Thank you all for your input. I clearly have a lot to learn, good thing I have such a good source of info.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Glad to hear he is doing better. Humidty makes a huge differents with redfoots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.